Assemblyman Proposes 11th Campus

247
247

A state assemblyman proposed that the University of California establish an 11th campus with a focus on science and technology.

Assemblyman Mike Gatto introduced the bill, Assembly Bill 1483. The bill would require a study on the possibility of establishing the campus. Additionally this study would need to appropriate $50 million to acquire land and build the school.

Since the UC system has had trouble acquiring enough funds for current operations, establishing a new campus will face numerous difficulties, especially the allocation of funds.

UC President Janet Napolitano and the UC regents have already proposed a 5 percent tuition increase in the next five years if state revenue for the UC does not rise.

In regards to growth and development, UC Merced, the newest campus, opened in 2005, has been hindered due to a lack of funds.

In addition to the difficulty of acquiring funds, there has been opposition to the establishment of a new research facility. Berkeley is also in the process of constructing a new research campus in the city of Richmond. The Richmond community hopes that the UC will have a positive effect on the people. However UC has refused to be accountable for any disruption in the city of Richmond, sparking protest within the Richmond community and the Berkeley Student Labor Committee.

Gatto emphasized that California needed a UC campus to enroll the many students who were denied admission to the top-ranked UC campuses in order to fill jobs in the areas of technology, science and mathematics.

However the state’s budget has received a surplus this year that could help construct the new campus.

132,383 California residents applied for admission to UC campus for the fall of 2015, an increase of 2.7 percent from last year. Additionally around 61,500 out-of-state students enrolled in UC campus, a 13 percent increase from last year.

Due to these increases in admission, President Napolitano announced that the UC system will be planning halt an increase of enrollment of California residents. The system will also confine enrollment of out-of-state students at current levels at UC Berkeley and UCLA.

Grotto explained that the creation of a new campus would help resolve the issue of enrollment especially in regards to Californian students. The establishment of this new campus would allow more California graduates to fill the job market.

The school, described as the “public version of Caltech,” is set to be established in either Los Angeles or the Silicon Valley.