Assemblyman Proposes Limiting Non-Resident Tuition

338
338

By: Carolina Dominguez

Assemblymember Jose Medina introduced Assembly bill 1370, which would cap enrollment for nonresidents at the University of California and it would prevent this nonresident enrollment from exceeding 10 percent of the total enrollment at each campus.

Those campuses that already have a population of non-resident students that surpasses the 10 percent would not be allowed to enroll any more non-resident students.

This state Assembly Bill is also said to likely increase nonresident tuition to a level no lower than fees at the majority of other comparable public institutions, as identified by the California Postsecondary Education Commission or a successor agency. Line 34-37 of the Assembly bill states that “the University of California shall establish a revenue sharing agreement pursuant to which revenues generated by nonresident student enrollment are distributed equitably to each campus of the university.”

Currently non resident students at UC pay roughly an average of about $35,000 annually for tuition and fees. At UC Irvine this year it has been $ 37,454.97, but it will increase once the 5% tuition hike sets forth during  Fall 2016.

For a while legislators have criticized the University of California for increasing the amount of nonresident students that are admitted, in order to raise revenue for the campuses. They say that the nonresident increase has greatly affected resident students, since there is less slots for these California students. The UC argues that they need this money because of the lower levels of state funding.

While Medina has introduced this bill to cap enrollment for nonresidents at UC, Napolitano has already capped the nonresident enrollment at UC Berkeley and UCLA starting the next academic year. During the last academic year, UC Berkeley nonresidents made up 20 percent of the undergraduates at UCLA last fall and 23 percent at Berkeley. While the cap is already set to happen, the UC does plan to increase nonresident enrollment at other UC campuses.

An audit will be happening in July which comes after a Joint Legislative Audit Committee hearing in February. During this time different lawmakers expressed concern on uneven funding at the UC campuses. The major problem that the lawmakers were concerned on was that campuses with higher populations of minority students received less funding usually because they are the same campuses with less nonresident students.

The UC campuses with the lowest numbers of nonresident students are UC Santa Cruz, UC Merced, and UC Riverside, which also have the highest population of minority students. These 3 campuses are also 3 out of the 4 UC’s recognized as Hispanic Serving Institutions; which means that they have a population of over 25% of students being Hispanic.

Medina supports the audit that will start in July, since he wants an update on the unequal funding of campuses, which includes the distribution of nonresident tuition.

The bill is still being reviewed at the moment, therefore the UC has not released a statement on where it stands.