Dalai Lama to Celebrate 80th Birthday at UCI

The 14th Dalai Lama will celebrate his 80th birthday with a Global Compassion Summit in Southern California.

The summit will be from July 5 through the 7 with the Dalai Lama’s birthday on the sixth.

The kickoff event of the summit will be held at the Honda Center in Anaheim. The next two days of the event will be held at UC Irvine. This visit to the university will include dialogues, panels, discussions and other special gatherings with Nobel laureates and other leaders in art, music, government, business, science and religion who share common values on working towards global peace.

The summit marks the Dalai Lama’s first visit to Anaheim and third to the UC Irvine.

The Global Compassion Summit, hosted by Friends of the Dalai Lama, UC Irvine and Center for Living Peace, will highlight the many areas in which the Dalai Lama has had the most significant impact. The dialogues include discussions and panels ranging from the creativity of art of the advancement of universal human values. The summit will provide an opportunity for many people to learn about the Dalai Lama’s goals of universal compassion.

The goal of this summit is to foster discussions and exchanges in regards to the Dalai Lama’s view of universal peace. The event will also celebrate the Dalai Lama’s lifelong achievements and devotion to the work of spreading peace and kindness throughout the world.

One of the leading non-profit organizers of the event, Friends of the Dalai Lama was established to amplify the values of compassion and peace. The Global Compassion Summit is the first event hosted by Friends of the Dalai Lama.

The city of Anaheim was chosen to host the starting events because of its initiatives towards promoting energy and public kindness, known as the City of Kindness initiative.

UC Irvine, which hosted the Dalai Lama in 2004 and 2011, has been chosen as the campus shares the values of compassion and kindness. Since the Dalai Lama’s visit in 2004, 12 students have embraced ethical leadership and peace in line with the university’s mission of public service through the UCI XIV Dalai Lama Scholarship. Projects such as the Compassion in Medicine, Kindness Month and the Peace Flag Project have promoted the values of benevolence and service.