304

By Marvin Luu

Women’s Water Polo

UCI’s Women’s Water Polo (18-7, 4-1) captured their sixth Big West regular season title on Thursday against conference rival Long Beach State (16-12, 1-3) to a score of 7-2. Junior center McKenna Mitchell led the ‘Eaters with a hat trick while senior goalkeeper Jillian Yocum recorded 15 saves against LBSU. The Anteaters look to make their mark in the Big West tournament this weekend at Hawaii as their first seed placing advances them to the semi-finals where they will await the winner of Long Beach against UC Santa Barbara.

Men’s Track and Field

The Men’s Track and Field team represented UCI well at the Mount Sac and Beach Invitationals with great individual performances by Senior Mason Miller and Sophomore Lloyd Sicard. Miller had a record-breaking weekend in the shot put event at the Mount Sac Relays this past weekend, breaking UCI’s standing record mark of 58-4 ¼ with a mark of 58-5 ¼ on Friday. The original record stood for 38 years and was originally recorded by Kris Letto. At Beach Invitational that took place the next day, Miller broke his own record with a mark of 58-10 ¼. Back at the Mount Sac invitational on Saturday, Sicard finished 10th overall in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 13.78. The ‘Eaters will not be back on the field until May 1-2 at Anteater Stadium where they will be hosting the Adidas/Steve Scott Invitational.

Women’s Track and Field

Sophomore Megan George led the Women’s Track and Field team with the top finish on Friday at the Mount Sac Invitational. George placed 20th with a time of 13.92 in the 100-meter hurdles. During the same invitational, freshman Perish William-Mensah finished 29th overall with a time of 11.84 in the 100 meters event at the Mount Sac relays on Friday. William-Mensah followed her performance with an impressive 11.75 finish in the 100 meters the following day at the Beach Invitational; she would go on to finish sixth overall in the event out of 99 other competitors. The Women’s Track and Field team will return to action on May 1-2, where they will be hosting the Adidas/Steve Scott Invitational at the Anteater Stadium.