175

Aamer Rahman is proving how he is a powerful comedian in every conceivable way on his latest US and Canada spring tour, “The Truth Hurts.” His material is fairly dark and heavily political. However, his sound, approachable comedy eventually breaks you in to these serious topics.

As soon as the young Australian stepped onto the stage, he asked the minorities and Caucasians in the Los Angeles crowd to make noise for themselves. He reassured them he was not a “hack who lures white people into a room so” he can “heckle them for an hour about being white.”

However, after allowing the white audience members to applaud themselves, he immediately cut in and said they were “wrong” and should actually “never do that in public.”

His jokes for the following hour were heavily driven by discussion around social issues, racism, terrorism, war crimes and Australian politics, which made for an original, refreshing set.

Within the first five minutes of the show, Rahman already received a powerhouse response of laughter for his joke drilling the terroristic behaviors of a certain country in Western Asia that is situated at the southeastern shore of the Mediterranean Sea — Israel.

In respects to the title of his tour, the rest of the night surely carried on with jabs at the truth: the unfair corner that post-9/11 events have put Muslims in.

“At any given time, you could find a Muslim somewhere around the planet apologizing for something they had nothing to do with,” Rahman said.

Yet he still balances his set with lighter material about pop culture, such as Iggy Azalea, “The Walking Dead,” hip-hop and Facebook. For example, his jokes about the social power of Facebook and why the majority of “The Walking Dead” cast is white were absolute crowd-favorites. Regardless of how heavy or light the material is, an all-around worthy joke is guaranteed.

Among his many unforgettable moments of the night, Rahman performed two spot-on impressions of a famous mafia icon and as “Uncle Aamer,” an elderly soul who is all-knowing of old-school gangsta rap. Such impressions highlighted how giving and diverse of a performer Rahman is.

Lastly, he notably closed his set with an anecdote about his 19-year-old self protesting at a detention center in Australia — “the white-power Disneyland at the edge of the earth.” This conclusion highlights the powerful impact of sitting through an Aamer Rahman show; he ignites the richest of laughs while enlightening you on an alarming, worldly issue.

Overall, Aamer Rahman crafted a commendable, strong set. The night held a consistent trajectory of humor that never allowed for a single dull moment. Rahman consecutively produced hilarious jokes in the forms of sharp wit and quality sarcasm.

Although many claim that his material tastes too bitter or sour, Rahman is spitting nothing but original, quality jokes while enlightening the audience of the dire political, social circumstances surrounding us today.

Aamer Rahman is a comedian of substance. What sets him apart from other figures in stand-up comedy is that he is not shooting for cheap jokes or topics. In several interviews, he has shared that regardless of who is in the audience, he refuses to ever compromise his craft for anyone. He holds a distinct voice and passionately carries purpose into his work, making him a unique, must-watch performer.