UCI Alumnus Killed in Nepal Earthquake on Mt. Everest

Daniel Fredinburg, a 2004 UCI graduate, was killed during the Nepal earthquake that claimed over 2,500 deaths this past week. He died after suffering a fatal head injury while climbing Mount Everest due to an avalanche caused by the quakes.

His little sister, Megan, announced the news on his Instagram, with a picture of him scaling Earth’s tallest mountain.

“We appreciate all of the love that has been sent our way thus far and know his soul and his spirit will live on in so many of us. All our love and thanks to those who shared this life with our favorite hilarious strong-willed man,” she wrote.

Longtime friend and once-girlfriend actress Sophia Bush also spoke out in an Instagram post.

“A dancing robot who liked to ride dinosaurs and chase the sun and envision a better future for the world. His brain knew how to build it. His heart was constantly evolving to push himself to make it so,” wrote Bush.

Bush has now shown her support for Dan and those affected by the Nepal earthquake by sharing a crowdfunding account made in his honor, with donations going toward OrphanGift, the charity he was raising money for with his climb. The money is set to go to two Nepalese orphanages. The page has currently raised $17,000.