Sports in Brief

By Marvin Luu

Men’s Golf

After tying for third place on Sunday and tying for second on Monday, there was not a better ending for UCI Men’s Golf at San Louis Obispo on Tuesday, as the team managed to close out the Big West Championship by taking home their first title since 2010. Senior Pete Fernandez led the ‘Eaters with a total score of 213, which secured him a second place spot behind Cal Poly’s Justin De Los Santos who finished first with 212. Junior Jacob Schulze tied with two others at third with a total of 214, 68 of which came in the final round of the event. Nonetheless, five ‘Eaters finished in the top 20 margin, including sophomore Bryan Shin who placed at 12th with 219, freshman David Kim who took 15th with 220, and freshman Jonathan Young, who came in at 20th with 222. The ‘Eaters’ win has officially secured them a spot in the NCAA Regionals that will begin on May 14th and conclude on the 16th.

Baseball

On Tuesday, the ‘Eaters started off their week strong with a dominating 9-4 victory over San Diego, winning the season series against the Toreros. When facing San Diego, UCI has taken care of business, defeating their opponent by margins of five or more in both contests. Center Jerry McClanahan had a fantastic outing, scoring a home run at the top of the fifth and finishing with three RBIs. McClanahan also made history by posting two walks that would go on to slide him into the 2nd place spot in the record books over Jeff Malinoff’s 109, a record in which Malinoff set during his time with the Anteaters back in the 1971-74 season.

UCI would keep their hot streak alive, sweeping their series against the Minnesota Gophers on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with scores of 3-2, 6-5 and 6-2 respectively. Junior Mitchell Holland seemed to have a hand in all the contests, hitting a double on Friday that would eventually lead to a game tying RBI from Freshman Cameron Bishop, who subsequently drove him in. On Saturday, Holland would return and give the ‘Eaters an early lead in the first by hitting a home run to drive in two RBIs off the same play. With their recent momentum, UCI will face off against USC tonight.

Women’s Track and Field

During the Adidas/Steve Scott Invitational, which took place at the Anteater Stadium on Friday and Saturday, Junior Bridget Devaney and Freshman Persis William-Mensah made their way into the Anteater’s record books in their respective events. On Friday, Devaney posted a mark of 174-10 in the hammer throw, breaking her original record which was set at 172-8 just two months ago at the UCI Spring Break Invitational. The following day, William-Mensah would also rewrite history by finishing in the 100-meters at 11.72, surpassing Desiree Bracey’s record time at 11.73, which was set 24 years ago. The ‘Eaters will be back at it next Saturday, where they will compete at the Oxy Invite held in Eagle Rock.

Men’s Track and Field

Sophomore Lloyd Sicard added to his prolific resume during Saturday’s Adidas/Steve Scott Invitational at the Anteater Stadium. Sicard finished the 110-meter hurdles with a record-breaking time of 13.79 over Stan Longino’s 13.80 which was set back in 1983. Sicard would go on to finish first in the event by a 0.22 margin over Double Pilla’s Logan Taylor. UCI senior Mason Miller had a nice send off during his last home meet by breaking his own record in the shot put event. Miller posted a mark of 60-6 over his already impressive 58-10 ¼ that he had set last month during the Beach Invitational. UCI will partake in the Oxy Invite next Saturday before the Big West Conference Championships that will take place the following week from May 15-16th in Riverside.