181

Have you ever laughed so much that your stomach hurt and you had tears in your eyes? If not, then I strongly recommend that you watch Marc Camoletti’s “Boeing Boeing,” directed by Eli Simon.

Set in the year 1962, the play is centered around a man named Bernard (Nick Manfredi) who is engaged to three air hostesses all at once and the confusion that ensues when the new and fast Boeing flight is launched and all three of them end up in Paris at the same time.

The play opens with Bernard and his gorgeous New York airhostess, Gloria (Jade Payton) in the living room of their apartment in Paris while Bernard’s housekeeper Berthe (Alex Raby) is making breakfast for them.

Berthe, with her French accent, facial expressions and sharp tongue make her stage presence an audience favorite.

Bernard’s friend Robert (Sam Arnold) drops by to visit him for a day and Bernard explains to him how he has worked out a way to make sure that none of his three fiances ever come into contact with one another.

Bernard then gets ready for his Italian fiancee, Gabriella (Maribel Martinez) to arrive and receives two calls, which Berthe answers with the message that both Gretchen (Grace Morrison), his German fiance and Gloria are arriving earlier.

Act one ends with all three women in Bernard’s apartment, in various rooms and Bernard and Robert wondering what to do with such a situation.

Act two has Bernard, Berthe and Robert scrambling to make sure the three women don’t meet. You’re left in suspense until the very end as to  how things turn out.

The genuinity and the confusion as to who is in which room and how to make sure they don’t come in contact with each other makes this play compelling and funny. You find yourself on the edge of your seat with suspense or you are falling off your seat with laughter.

The various accents, the hilarious confusion and the utmost dedication and commitment with which the actors perform  all put  together made this a truly wonderful play to watch.

You can’t help but fall in love and laugh with the actors for their wonderful portrayals of each character.

The set, which was beautifully designed by Jade Webb, perfectly resembled an apartment. With all the slamming doors and  people falling over the bean bags, the set stood strong and definitely helped one feel like they are in that apartment with the characters.

The lighting design by Ebony Madry added to the various shades of the play from romantic to comedic and it felt like a beautiful painting you just can’t take your eyes off of.

The sound design by Ben Scheff definitely added a touch of liveliness and reality to the play. The sounds of the plane taking off and landing, the bookcase that makes a musical sound while rotating and the phone ringing, all together contributed a great production.

The costume design by Jessica Van Kempen for the airhostesses fit the scenario perfectly and were spot on. From the small hat to the skirts and blouses and the bright, stunning color choices, it was very well designed and executed.

A fascinating, tangled love web plot is only one of the play’s many quality attributes. Gorgeous to look at and side-splittingly hilarious, “Boeing Boeing” is well worth both your time and money.