293

By Marvin Luu

Courtesy of UCI Media Athletics
Courtesy of UCI Media Athletics

Men’s Golf

After winning their seventh Big West title last month, the ‘Eaters entered into their 13th NCAA Regionals tying at 11th place for two consecutive rounds in Lubbock, Texas. Despite a solid outing, UCI would go on to finish the event in 10th place on Saturday evening with a grand total of 865, a score that is not enough to advance to the NCAA Championships to be held at the Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Florida. Senior Pete Fernandez led the ‘Eaters, finishing with 215 off a 1-under par 70, while Junior Jacob Schultz came in at 39th with 216. Freshman David Kim, who has had himself a solid season, recorded a total score of 217, shooting 2-over par 70 on Saturday to slip into the 46th spot.

Courtesy of UCI Media Athletics
Courtesy of UCI Media Athletics

Men’s Track and Field

During the first day of the Big West Conference Championships in Riverside, Senior Mason Miller came out on top, posting a 60-0 1/4 mark in the shot put and winning the Big West title in the event. The Anaheim native’s win marks the first time in 25 years since UCI has won a Conference Championship in the particular event. Miller has had an amazing season, breaking his personal record three times with his best mark at 60-6, which he had registered earlier this month during the adidas/Steve Scott Invitational.

On Saturday, sophomore Lloyd Sicard won the 110-meter hurdles event in 14.05 seconds. Sicard is only the second runner in 27 years from UCI to have won the event. Junior Kyle Hubbard joined Sicard by finishing in fourth in 14.69.

The ‘Eaters were also well represented in the 400-meter hurdles event. Junior Cameron Vaca managed to finish in second place with a time of 51.84 while Sicard took the fourth place slot with 52.06.

In the 800-meter event, sophomore Isaiah Thompson came in at fifth in 1:51.50 while Miller finished his final day at the championships in seventh in the disc throw with a mark of 159-5.

In the 4×100, a team consisting of juniors Oliver Pham, Kolton Cody, Mike Graf and freshman Michael Hamill finished in 42.40 and took seventh.

The ‘Eaters closed out their event in eighth place, with a collective score of 55 points.

Women’s Track and Field

Sophomore Ariel Cheng came out with a strong performance during the first day of the Big West Conference Championships on Friday in Riverside, posting a 12’4” mark in the poll vault which was enough to get her into third place. Cheng was a bit short from her personal best at 12’10”, which she had set last year during the 2014 Big West Conference Championships.

On Saturday, sophomore Megan George dominated the 100-meter hurdles, taking the first place slot with a time of 13.51 and becoming the first athlete in UCI to do so in the event. George had qualified for Saturday’s event after finishing with 13.73 during Friday’s prelims. Freshman Tyra Jones joined George by finishing seventh in 14.38, marking the second UCI player to record a time in the top ten category in the respective event.

The ‘Eaters were not done there as junior Kaulyn Lee-McNeill finished the 400-meter hurdles in 60.45, which earned her the second place slot while freshman Persis William-Mensah placed in fifth with a time of 12.00 in the 100-meters.

Junior Lauren Ellison had a solid outing in the triple jump, recording a mark of 38-5, which had earned her an eighth place spot in the event and seventh all time in the UCI record books.

Junior Bridget Devaney represented UCI nicely with her performance in the hammer throw event. Devaney registered a mark of 174-5, earning her an eighth place spot. On Friday’s event, Devaney placed 17th in the disc throw.

In the 4×100 relay, a team consisting of freshman Taisyn Crutchfield, George, Jones and William-Mensah managed to finish in 46.73, which allowed them to take the sixth place slot. In the 4×400 relay, freshman Brenna McNulty and Simone Buchanan, George, and Lee-McNeil placed seventh, finishing in 3:50.67

UCI would go on to finish in ninth place with a total of 39 points.