Four Tales of One Concert: Snakehips

172
172

Patrick Herrin:

Good girls go to heaven, and bad girls go every week. No where in sight could you find a good girl to join you in the blissful sounds that filled the room. The Observatory @ Orange County welcomed all ages (unfortunately) and all groups (that included fuccboi’s) of people for UK’s unique vibe makers, Snakehips. If you got real FOMO for missing out, Snakehips could provide the same vibe to you right through your headphones. Whether or not you were there Saturday night, Snakehips’ tracks are the shit no matter what form you hear them in.

At the beginning of the night, I screamed the lyrics to Snakehips’ new mix that everyone looks forward to every time they scroll through their SoundCloud feed. We be looking for that shit all the time. Creating this track out of nothing with Tory Lanez for Adidas’s promotion turned into a natural head banger. “Dimelo” set the tone for the night.

Snakehips supplied the best remix of Weeknd’s “Wanderlust.” I could not help myself feeling some form of wanderlust. Eventually by the end of the night, I felt a strange familiarity that resonated with my primary interest in R&B.

“Don’t Wanna Be A Player” by Big Pun featuring Joe was the last song of the night without any Snakehips snare-filled mixing. Snakehips supplied the perfect salutation to the growing evolution of future R&B and celebrated past golden generations of the R&B genre.

Expected more but I would rather totally fuck with it on Soundcloud every week. Thank you, Based God.

Phuc Pham:

It’s an odd sensation when you leave a concert less enamored with the artist than when you arrived. When you need a break from them and their Soundcloud.

Maybe it was the kid who put out a cigaratte on my arm after pushing himself into everyone in the vicinity. Maybe it was the lack of any new material. Or maybe it was the surplus of high schoolers who think it’s okay to smoke in the middle of a crowded pit. Most of these things weren’t Snakehips’s fault, but it left me think that I would have had a better time alone in my room with a good pair of speakers.

To their merit, however, the London-based duo played crowd favorites and kept it lit, even for the EDM fans in the house who might not have come for the blend of R&B, hip hop and electronic elements that Snakehips has curated for themselves.

But Snakehips, in my book, has never really struck me as producers of straight EDM, so it was strange to be rocking to bass lines without lyrics.

Moreover, the set seemed lazy. There was nothing new I hadn’t heard before on Soundcloud. There was no live remixing: the one-off mix that inspires fear of missing out for those who were left at home.

It felt like I could have stayed home and listened to their recent BBC mix. And at the end of their set, the duo wasn’t even mixing. They played the vanilla versions of songs before retreating to the back of the stage for Coronas and daps with their entourage. It felt lazy.

Saturday night stretched into Sunday morning and in the aftermath, this fan needs a Snakehips sabbatical.

Kimberly Van:

A maze of 20-somethings trailed in front of Santa Ana’s Observatory. Conversations of finals and how much people pregamed spilled into each other. An army of jerseys for make-believe teams, high waisted shorts and snapbacks, stood at attention when the venue’s security finally opened the doors for Snakehips’ sold out show. My group of six stood among them.

I don’t have credibility about the “sick beats” (or whatever the kids call it these days) that Snakehips dropped but I can talk about the crowd: about the phone thief that unzipped my friend’s purse, stole the phone and threw it into a trash can.

About the dickhead in his ugly-as-fuck Supreme jersey, smoking in the pit and harassing myself and another group of girls. How Phuc stood up for us and the guy in the jersey, glassy-eyed, swung his arm to put out his lit cig on my friend’s arm. About how Phuc stood his ground and almost got in a fight. About how Patrick doesn’t want to face gender norms when he dances with himself.

But also how I dropped my phone and a group of girls helped me crawl through the crowd just to help me find it.

Our souvenirs were a darkened skin spot and a broken phone. Snakehips was just a soundtrack in the background last night.

Taylor Weik:

To say I was looking forward to Snakehips playing at the Observatory in Santa Ana, my favorite venue in Orange County, was an understatement.

Snakehips and Flight Facilities were the two DJ duos that introduced me into the magical world of SoundCloud, the Swedish music distribution platform where aspiring DJs can mix their own sounds and upload them to the worldwide web in hopes of achieving recognition.

Hearing the London-based duo’s arguably most popular song, a remix of The Weeknd’s “Wanderlust,” for the first time was what convinced me to create an account on SoundCloud and start combing through the system, searching for other songs with a similar chill vibe. Cashmere Cat, ODESZA, Giraffage… I was hooked. But it all started with Snakehips.

I had seen Flight Facilities a few months back and was floored by their great live sound, so I had high expectations for Snakehips — tickets were just $15, but I was willing to pay more. And while they weren’t nearly as exhilarating live —they played a lot of the same music I’d heard before — being surrounded by other Snakehips fans who were all belting the lyrics to Kehlani’s “Till the Morning” together was an experience that I’d pick over listening to SoundCloud while doing homework any day.