35th Annual Anteater Awards Focuses on Services

319
319

The 35th Annual Anteaters Awards were held last Wednesday to highlight the accomplishments of  student organizations on campus.

Originally known as the Student Organization Recognition Night up until 2007, the event brought together campus organizations campus for a night of ceremony and awards. The name change was intended to encourage participation from all members of every registered organization. Then, the Cross-Cultural Center also began to nominate members for specific awards.

Currently, the Anteater Awards recognize the best of over 600 campus organizations in approximately 30 award categories.

Among the numerous recognitions awarded, the Cross-Cultural Center’s Faculty of the Year Award was given to Dr. Frank B. Wilderson III.

“The Faculty Ally of the Year Award entails a faculty staff member that advocates for students outside of their administrative position on campus,” explained Khaalidah Sidney, a fourth-year African American studies and Asian American studies double major, who nominated the professor for his service to Black students.

Her nomination of Wilderson III stemmed from his lending his help to the students affected by the harassment following last quarter’s ASUCI flag fiasco as well as his guidance for Black students navigating the university.

Alpha Phi Omega was featured as the most outstanding service organization at the ceremony. The co-ed fraternity is organized around a variety of values such as leadership development and social opportunities. However, the fraternity mostly focus on service, doing many of its projects in Orange County area and UC Irvine.

“Our biggest events and the ones we really emphasize…are National Service Week in the fall and National Service Day in the spring,” said Alpha Phi Omega member Allison Buluran.

“We try to help the campus community by facilitating a positive climate with free hugs or finals care kits.”

Returning from the 31st Anteater Awards for most outstanding social support organization, Pilipino-Americans in Social Studies made another appearance at the ceremony by winning the most outstanding member of the year award.

The club promoted social opportunities and connections with those in the social sciences.

The member of the year award honors a member whose participation and actions became an invaluable component to the club’s success. The executive board of the club nominated Jeffrey Chan for the award.

“Since the beginning, he made his presence and willingness to help others known,” PASS internal vice president Kimberly Grospe said.

“From volunteering at club fundraisers to fixing technical issues on people’s laptops to attending nearly all the events and programs PASS holds and offers, he has humbly and happily shown the dedication and social support.”