410

With Marvin Luu

Anna Chung | New University
Anna Chung | New University

Baseball

Despite not making it into NCAA play, the UCI baseball team (33-23, 15-9) received many honors from the Big West for their play all season. Freshman outfielder Keston Hiura became the first Anteater to receive the Big West Freshman Field Player of the Year award.  Both Hiura and junior Mikey Duarte were named to the All-Big West first team as well. Additionally, Duarte became a semifinalist in the voting for the Brooks Wallace award, which is given to the best shortstop in the nation. Senior Jerry McClanahan and junior Mitchell Holland received Big West second team honors to cap off the Eaters’ conference nods.

MensVBMay1_AnnaChungStaff-0079

Volleyball

Men’s Volleyball Head Coach David Kniffin has been given a contract extension until the end of the 2018 season.  Kniffin, who was 2015 MPSF Coach of the Year, won a national championship with the Anteaters in 2013 and a MPSF regular season championship this past season. Eight Anteaters received MPSF Volleyball All-Academic honors for their work off the court during the season. Anteaters Jason Agopian, Andrew Benz, Roberto Frazzoni, Tamir Hershko, Zack La Cavera, Michael Saeta, Travis Woloson and Reid Dominguez received the honor for maintaining at least a 3.0 GPA while also competing in at least in half of the season’s games.

Courtesy of UCI Media Athletics
Courtesy of UCI Media Athletics

Men’s Track and Field

Sophomore Lloyd Sicard continues his amazing run this year, becoming the first player since 2012 to qualify for the NCAA Championships being held in Eugene, Oregon, with a time of 13.60 in the 110-meter hurdles. Not only does Sicard qualify for the championships, but he has also done so in record-breaking fashion, speeding past the school’s record of 13.79 in the quarterfinals of Saturday’s event in Austin, Texas. Sicard will be one of 12 hurdlers to advance in that respective event.

Senior Mason Miller, who had been a Big West Champion this year in the shot-put event, finished the NCAA quarterfinals in 41st place with a mark of 55-7 1/2 on Friday.

Courtesy of UCI Media Athletics
Courtesy of UCI Media Athletics

Women’s Track and Field

Sophomore Megan George fell short of qualifying for the NCAA Championships, placing 17th in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.65 at the Mike A. Myers Stadium. The top 12 in the event will move on to the NCAA Championships which will take place in Eugene, Oregon. George has had a great season, becoming the Big West Champion early last month and doing so with a time of 13.51, a new school record.

Junior Kaulyn Lee-McNeill placed 34th overall among 48 runners in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 61.10 during the first day of the events. With her time, Lee-McNeill  was unable to advance to the second day of the NCAA Preliminary rounds. Lee-McNeill was the Big West Conference runner-up back in May.