HomeSportsSports in Brief

Sports in Brief

Co-written with Marvin Luu

Women’s Soccer

Following a three game run where senior goalie Corey Tobin racked up a total of 315 minutes without allowing a single goal, the UCI women’s soccer team (3-4-1) snapped their scoreless streak with a two game slide at the Nike Invitational held in Portland, Oregon. The ‘Eaters fell to the Portland Pilots (2-4-0) during their first game on Friday, September 11 and dropped a subsequent game on Sunday against the Washington Huskies (6-1-0).

In their first loss, the ‘Eaters had given up a goal within three minutes of the opening kick-off, snapping Tobin’s three consecutive shutouts.

UCI managed to claim a bit of life within the 43rd minute mark when sophomore midfielder Alex Karlowitz managed to score her first goal for the season, and second in her time as an Anteater. The game slipped away from the ‘Eaters when Pilots midfielder Noelle La Provotte sent a game sealing dagger in the second half, stretching the lead to 3-1.

On Sunday evening, the Washington Huskies came out playing much more aggressively than the ‘Eaters, putting up 10 shots to six, four of which were on goal. After two quick goals in the first half, UCI had no answer and could not convert their two attempts at goal, giving up their second straight loss, 0-2.

The ‘Eaters will make their way into Florida for two contests against Florida International and Florida Atlantic on the 18th and 20th of September.

Women’s Cross-Country

The UC Irvine women’s cross-country team finished 9th of the 15 schools competing in the season opening Adidas/UCI Invitational at the Anteater Recreation Center Fields with a team total of 208 points in early September.

Senior, Courtney Sharar, finished the 5,000 meter course being the first of the ‘Eaters, having finished in 34th place with a time of 19:20.47. Not too far from Sharar, freshman Yulissa Mendoza finished at 37th place in her first collegiate meet with 19:24.67

Freshman Megan Mirkhanian, Junior Alice Yang, and Junior Pearl Law finished among the ‘Eaters top five, placing at 42nd, 53rd, and 59th place respectively.

UCI is scheduled to compete in the Mustang Challenge to be held in Santa Clara on September 19th.   

Men’s Water Polo

A second period with seven unanswered goals, sparked No.8 UC Irvine Men’s Water polo team’s (4-0) second consecutive win over Whittier College in the Inland Empire Classic. The Anteaters remain undefeated after defeating Loyola Marymount (17-12), Air Force (10-8), Redlands (14-3) and Whittier (19-9).

Seven different ‘Eaters scored in Saturday’s game including hat tricks from Sophomore Ryan Warde, Sophomore Matt Skinner, and Junior Lovre Milos. Senior Goalkeeper Dylan Peterson had 11 blocks in just the first half only allowing two goals against UCI’s 10 scores.

Head Coach Marc Hunt’s bunch will have one tuneup game in Riverside before traveling up north to Stanford to compete in the NorCal Tournament where they will face No.11 Princeton on Saturday.

Men’s Cross-Country

UC Irvine men’s cross-country team started off their season by winning the Adidas/UCI Invitational last weekend at the ARC Fields by placing first with 31 points.

UCI shined on their home track as five Anteaters landed in the top 13 spots. Among these are Sophomore Izzak Mireles who placed 4th, Junior Isaiah Thompson who placed 7th, Junior David Aguilar who finished 8th, Freshman Branden Randall who finished 10th, and Junior Nolan Del Valle who finished 13th. The win last weekend makes it UC Irvine’s first home meet victory since 2010.

The Anteaters will return to competition when they travel to Santa Clarita to compete in the Mustang Invitational on September 19th.