Sports in Brief

Co-written with Marvin Luu

Men’s Water Polo

No. 8 UC Irvine men’s water polo team (6-2) split their two games on Saturday at the Kap7 Invitational with a win over No. 12 Princeton (14-6) and a loss to No. 2 USC (12-4). The loss to the Trojans makes it the first loss for the Anteaters this season after winning their first six games. In the Princeton game, senior goalkeeper Dylan Peterson set a career high with 17 saves which led to the Anteater victory. Junior Kyle Trush also set a career high in the game with four goals. In the game against USC, 10 different Trojans scored, handing the Anteaters their first loss of the season. UCI played the consolation game of the invitational against No.7 Long Beach State, in which they lost by a score of 12-11. UCI ended up placing seventh after their 12-9 victory over Pepperdine.

The Anteaters will host their home opener this Thursday at the Anteater Aquatics Center as they face UC San Diego. UCI will have a chance to recoup their loss against LBSU in the conference opener on Saturday.

Men’s Cross Country

Junior Jake Williams took the top spot for UCI runners (78th overall)  at the Mustang Invitational Saturday with a time of 27:08.13.

Five Anteaters placed in the top 200 runners in the event with freshman Jonathan Rodriguez finishing 92nd with 27:20.07, sophomore Eric Enriquez placing 119th with 27:45.53, Junior Alex Hascall placing 127th with 28:02:70 and freshman Andrew Graciano finishing 134th with 28:14.17.

The Anteaters will compete in the 42nd Stanford Invitational on Saturday the 26th at the Stanford Golf Course.

Women’s Cross Country

In just her second event of the year, freshman Lisa Vasquez of the UCI women’s cross country team achieved 50th place with a time of 18:52.02 at the Mustang Challenge held in Santa Clara this past Saturday. Vasquez had not only led the ‘Eaters in Sunday’s event, but had also moved up 49 slots from her previous performance at the Adidas/UC Irvine Invitational where she placed 99th.

Senior Courtney Sharar, who had finished first among the ‘Eaters in their last event, punched in 51st place, trailing Vasquez by 1.28. Freshman Yulissa Mendoza, junior Alice Yang, and freshman Megan Mirkhanian found themselves in a familiar position, finishing amongst UCI’s top five once again, finishing at 66th, 73rd and 76th respectively.

Collectively, UCI took the 10th spot with a total of 269 points as Loyola Marymount took the top place with 36 points. The ‘Eaters will make their way to the Stanford Invitational this coming Saturday.

Women’s Soccer

The UC Irvine women’s soccer team (4-5-1) concluded their long venture into the Sunshine State with a nice 1-0 victory over Florida Atlantic this past Sunday.  The win snapped a tough three game slide which began in Portland and carried over to the Eater’s 2-0 defeat  in Miami against Florida International (4-5-0) on Friday.  

In the loss, the ‘Eaters failed to match the same intensity of the Panthers, putting up a total of six shot attempts to the Panthers’ 12. The Panthers first goal came in the 27th minute mark when midfielder Madlen Weinhardt managed to send a low shot past UCI goalie Corey Tobin from a nice feed off a throw in that landed within the Anteaters’ box. With two minutes to go in the half, Florida International’s Alyssa Robinson propelled a high shot that deflected off Tobin’s foot and landed in the nets, tallying in the final goal of the game. With the Panthers’ early 2-0 lead in the first half, UCI could not respond and subsequently lost their third straight non-conference game.

Two days later, UCI headed into Boca Raton with a much more inspired effort. Offensively, the ‘Eaters put up 12 shots for the game as senior goalie Corey Tobin had a solid outing with four saves as UCI’s defensive anchor. Sophomore Kiana Palacios scored her first goal of the season — and the game-winner — during the 81st minute mark of the game. Palacios led the offensive with two shots on goal within 54 minutes of play.

With the victory, the ‘Eaters will return to the Anteater Stadium this Friday in a match-up against Santa Clara at 7 pm.