468

Men’s Soccer

The UCI men’s soccer team’s season came to an end as the Anteaters fell 1-0 to Cal Poly in the first round of the Big West Tournament Saturday afternoon at the Alex G. Spanos Stadium.

The Mustangs clinched the game early on, courtesy of a goal by junior forward Justin Dhillon in just the fifth minute to give Cal Poly its first-ever win in the Big West Tournament. With the loss, the Anteaters finish the season with a 5-11-4 record and will miss the finals of the Big West Tournament for the first time since 2012.

Saturday’s contest marked the final match for seniors Mats Bjurman, Jaime Phillips, Eduardo Calzada and Michael Breslin, who ends his collegiate career just 10 minutes shy of the conference record for minutes played.

Men’s Tennis

The UCI men’s tennis team (2-3) completed a busy week consisting of four straight days of tournament play at the Grand Canyon Invite from Nov. 5 to Nov. 8.

In addition to players individually competing within their respective draws, the Anteaters also engaged in two dual matches on Thursday, taking on host Grand Canyon University. Against the Antelopes, the Anteaters fell behind 3-0 before single wins by Sebastian Heim, Nico Merterns, Luca Marquard and Tyler Pham gave UCI the comeback 4-3 win. The team also rolled through Air Force Academy 6-0, with five straight-set wins in singles.

Women’s Volleyball

The UCI women’s volleyball team split a pair of games on the road over the weekend to sit at an overall record of 12-13 and 6-7 in the Big West.

After being decisively swept by Cal Poly in their first meeting, the Anteaters pushed the Mustangs to five sets, but came up short 15-10 in the final frame Friday night. Junior setter Shelley Anderson recorded a career-high 61 assists while four Anteaters finished with double-digit kills.

The following night, the Anteaters squared off against UCSB for the first time, emerging victorious over the Gauchos in four sets. UCI recorded 72 digs — second most of the season — led by a combined 38 digs from sophomore libero Luna Tsujimoto and defensive specialist sophomore Chloe Hakim.