New Slate Dance Showcase

Claire Trevor School of the Arts’ Dance Department’s annual fall quarter showcase, New Slate, returns December 3-5, providing dance students their first formal performance opportunity of the year. The program, headed up by artistic director Tong Wang, is made up of pieces choreographed by a number of first and second-year graduate dance students, incorporating different genres of dance and elements of the dance traditions of different cultures to form both a distinct and cohesive exhibition of the talent in the Claire Trevor Dance Department.

At the start of the quarter, the choreographers hold auditions and select undergraduate dancers to perform in their pieces, who then undertake rigorous rehearsals until the performance’s four show run during week 10.

Kristy Dai, a fourth-year dance performance major and a two-year veteran of the New Slate showcase, says the rehearsal process for this year’s show was an especially pleasant one.

“My choreographer Joshua (Estrada-Romero) made the rehearsal process very enjoyable and stress-free,” says Dai. “He would always come in knowing what he wanted, both movement and staging-wise, while making rehearsals a fun and open space to create.”

The show is a diverse exhibition of all that Claire Trevor’s Dance Department has to offer; with choreographers interested in genres ranging from modern fusion to African jazz and with both small and large groups of dancers, this is a show that, as advertised, “promises something for every dance enthusiast.”

“New Slate kicks off the year as the department’s first show of the season,” says Dai. “It’s always a treat to witness the incoming talent here at the Claire Trevor School of the Arts, as the show gives people a glimpse of what’s in store for future performances by grads, undergrads and faculty.”

New Slate, being performed in the Claire Trevor Theatre, runs from Thursday December 3 to Saturday December 5, with evening shows at 8PM and a Saturday matinee at 2PM.