Head Coach Doug Oliver announces retirement

By Marvin Luu

dougoliver

Doug Oliver is set to retire after 41 years of coaching.

Having coached college basketball for a total of 41 years, UC Irvine women’s basketball head coach Doug Oliver has announced his decision to retire at the end of the 2015-2016 campaign on Tuesday evening.

Oliver officially began his stint with the ‘Eaters as an assistant coach for the men’s basketball team from 2009 to 2011. On May 22, 2012, he was named the head coach of the women’s basketball team, a position that he has kept for four seasons.

The 2013-2014 season had been the highlight of Oliver’s head coaching career, as he lead the women’s basketball team to a 17-15 overall record, 9-7 on the conference, finishing with a 4th place tie with UC Davis. The 17 victories had been the most victories for the program in 19 years. The team also set a school record, second in the Big West conference that year, for averaging 72.5 points a night.

Prior to his arrival in Orange County, Oliver spent 14 years—two stints from 1986-1998 and 2006-2008—as an assistant coach for the men’s basketball program at Stanford. Oliver had been on the sidelines with Cardinal head coach Mike Montgomery when the team made it into the NCAA’s Final Four during the 1997-1998 season.

Oliver has also spent eight years at Idaho State. During the 2000-2001 campaign, his team finished third in the Big Sky Conference with an overall 14-14 record.

Utah, Boise State, and West Valley Junior College are among some of the other institutions at which Oliver’s resume has extended to.