UCI Routed by UC Davis, 74-61

416
416

By Marvin Luu

Despite an 18-point outing from freshman guard Andrea Ritter, who checked into just her second game on the season Thursday night, the UC Irvine women’s basketball team (3-14, 0-3) got off to a cold start against UC Davis (10-6, 3-0) that subsequently led to a 74-61 rout for the Aggies at The Pavilion.

In the loss, junior forwards Mokun Fajemisin and McKenzie Piper combined for 25 points with Fajemisin nearing a double double with 8 boards. Senior guard Raelyn Cheung-Sutton continues to lead the ‘Eaters on the assist column, dropping in five dimes on the night.

With the loss, the 'Eaters are now 0-3 in Conference play and will look to turn things around this Saturday against Long Beach State.
With the loss, the ‘Eaters are now 0-3 in Conference play and will look to turn things around this Saturday against Long Beach State.

After Fajemisin converted a basket at the 9:17 mark, the ‘Eaters went scoreless for six minutes as the Aggies steadied capitalized. UC Davis would go on a 21-4 and finish the quarter at 23-6.

The ‘Eaters gave UC Davis a scare in the second quarter, going on an impressive run of their own. Behind Fajemisin’s 10 points, UCI cut the lead down to two, 32-30, holding the Aggies to just nine points in the period.

Eight seconds into the third, Piper sunk a jumper to even out the score at 32. This would be the closest UCI would get in the contest as Aggies center Alyson Doherty and forward Morgan Bertsch would go on to dominate the front court, posting 13 points and 20 points respectively. By the end of the game, the Aggies had outscored UCI in the paint, 36-32.

For the rest of the game, the ‘Eaters shot just 27.8 percent from the floor while the Aggies shot a whopping 66.7 percent. While UCI traded baskets with the Aggies, scoring 19 in the final period behind Ritter’s eight points, UC Davis’ third period surge was too much to overcome.

With the 74-61 loss, the ‘Eaters will look for their first conference victory at the Bren on Saturday evening against Long Beach State.