300

DJ Khaled, notorious record producer and rising social media personality, spent his Sunday night DJing at The Observatory, posting on Snapchat and telling his fans, as usual, overly-passionate quotes of advice for success.

After the crowd stood and waited nearly three hours for the guest of honor, DJ Khaled came on stage and was welcomed by a packed house of excited fans.

He immediately offered the crowd “major keys,” a self-named title for pieces of advice that he believes offer guidance to success. He is most known for sharing these “keys” through videos on the multimedia application Snapchat.

For example, he concluded his show with the “major key”: “To make sure you win more, the key is to make sure you have a clean heart and a clean so
ul.”

His set included tracks from his latest album, “I Changed A Lot,” and classic singles from his past records. He played song snippets from heavyweight artists like Drake, Fetty Wap, Jay Z, Travis Scott, Future and Rick Ross. The Miami-based DJ and founder of the We the Best Music record label even paid homage to the late Tupac Shakur by playing “California Love.”

While playing his latest single “How Many Times,” he abruptly stopped the track to drop a gem of wisdom the whole crowd was waiting for: “They don’t want us to win, so we gon’ win more.”

Most notable about DJ Khaled as a performer is his overly confident, outrageous and unintentionally comical personality. Known for his frequent posting of over-the-top motivational clips on Snapchat, DJ Khaled’s enthusiastic virtual presence is exactly what you get in person. Within his tight 45-minute set, he managed to stop the music more than five times to share “major keys” of motivational one-liners.

Although DJ Khaled has been producing music and releasing albums that have been recognized by Billboard charts since 2006, he has never been as musically or at least socially relevant as he is today.

After years of being pretty much off the radar, his most polarizing quality is surely this sudden whirlwind of recent fame from his comical music videos and infamous videos on Snapchat. Music magazines are writing pieces about his motivational videos and comparing them to Shia LeBoeuf’s. He is a meme, an inspiration and a rotund figure of hope in this generally bleak and pessimistic world.

When at his show, it was unspokenly known that no one was truly there to solely enjoy him as an artist. Everyone was there because DJ Khaled is funny and amusing. We wanted to fill up a venue to dance, sing and laugh with him.

DJ Khaled represents a new breed of celebrity, the one that the Internet has helped to catapult into a precious niche of pop culture. It’s a breed in which personality, character and charm trump talent or artistic merit. Whether or not you value this kind of celebrity, you cannot deny that it’s here and not going anywhere anytime soon.

The press has even described Khaled as “Snapchat famous,” a strange concept to swallow but not necessarily a sickening one.
Because of DJ Khaled’s purity and fierce sense of self-worth, he stands apart from the mind-numbing onslaught of stock Internet celebs we’ve grown so accustomed to seeing. He is believable and uplifting. Everyone at The Observatory that night wore permanent smiles, and how often do you get a chance to be in a room with hundreds of people who are so damn happy to be there?