UCI Swept By Hawai’i in Conference

By Marvin Luu

A cold second half from UCI’s women’s basketball team (4-18, 1-7) became an eminent enemy on Saturday evening as Hawai’i (12-9, 5-3) picked up a 59-35 victory to sweep the ‘Eaters in conference play.

Junior forward Mokun Fajemisin kept the game competitive by posting 11 points and five rebounds on the night, but was held to just two points in the entirety of the second half. Meanwhile, senior guard Raelyn Cheung-Sutton also fell stagnant with just six points, one assist, and four turnovers in 20 minutes of action.

Following a 59-35 loss on Saturday, the 'Eaters are now 0-2 against Hawai'i.

Following a 59-35 loss on Saturday, the ‘Eaters are now 0-2 against Hawai’i.

After a slow first quarter at which both teams had collectively scored just 14 baskets, Hawai’i shook off their cobwebs and found their offensive rhythm in the second period, outscoring UCI, 20-9.

The Rainbow Wahine, who were led by freshman center Megan Huff’s 15 points and five rebounds, showed no signs of slowing down and persistently pushed their momentum into the third by going on yet another 23-6 point outburst.

A pair of Fajemsin free throws and two Cheung-Sutton lay-ups were the only points that UCI had managed to score in the entirety of the third period.

While the second half offensive dry spell had clearly put the Rainbow Wahine over the ‘Eaters, points off the free throw line and rebounding were also issues that plagued the team.

Hawai’i had managed to convert all but four of their 25 attempts at the line while UCI settled on just eight of their 17.

Although freshman guard Andrea Ritter did manage to secure a new career high seven rebounds, the ‘Eaters were collectively outrebounded 40-34, 17 of which Hawai’i successfully utilized to cash in 18 second chance points.

UCI will have a week to find a remedy for their dry spells before heading to Mott Gym next Saturday to matchup against Cal Poly for a 4:30 tip off.