UCI Women’s Tennis Drops Two Matches at Home

480
480

The UCI women’s tennis team dropped a pair of home matches, by respective scores of 6-1 and 5-2, over the weekend at the Anteater Tennis Stadium.

Throughout both matches, the No. 74 Anteaters were without the services of sophomore Arisha Ladhani, who garnered All-Big West singles honorable mention after primarily playing at the No. 2 spot last year.

On Friday afternoon, the Anteaters hosted the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. During the round of doubles, the UNLV team of Paola Artiga and Iren Kotseva defeated Cassidy Branstine and Stephanie Hazell by a score of 6-2 to draw first blood for the Rebels, but the duo of Andrea Duva and Vivien Dvali bounced with a 6-2 win of their own to even the score. With the score split, the doubles point came down to court 1, where UNLV’s Carol Zi Yang and Aiwen Zhu defeated Sarah Gong and Mazy Watrous to secure the doubles point.

Although UNLV would go on to secure the doubles point, senior Andrea Duva (pictured above) and Vivien Dvali gave the 'Eaters life with a 6-2 victory in their match.
Although UNLV would go on to secure the doubles point, senior Andrea Duva (pictured above) and sophomore Vivien Dvali gave the ‘Eaters life with a 6-2 victory in their match.

During the round of singles, Gong and Watrous quickly dropped their matches in straight sets to put the Anteaters down a 0-3 hole. Anna Bogoslavets went on to defeat Hazell to seal the 4-0 victory for the Rebels.

Both teams agreed to play out the remainder of the matches, with Branstine being the only Anteater to edge out a victory in the singles round.

The following day, the Anteaters attempted to rebound from their loss to the rebels but fell to Sacramento State by a score of 5-2.

Head coach Mike Edles inserted the new doubles team of Gong and Hazell at the number one spot, which paid dividends as the two quickly won the set with 6-3. However, the Hornets would take the remaining two doubles matches to clinch the doubles point.

Much like UNLV, Sacramento State quickly took two singles matches in straight sets to jump ahead to a 3-0 lead. Dvali managed to keep the Anteater’s alive by outlasting Jennifer Ong 7-6 (4), 6-3 at the No. 2 singles spot, but it would be for naught as Ana Loaiza Esquivias defeated Hazell in three sets, 6-1, 5-7, 6-0 to clinch the match for the Hornets.

The Anteaters have now lost four straight matches, and will have 12 days to regroup before hitting the road to take on San Diego State on Feb. 18.