Men’s Volleyball Drop First of Two-Game Road Trip

393
393

UCI men’s volleyball fell to UCSB in straight sets by scores 25-17, 26-24, and 25-17 at Rob Gym yesterday night. The loss marks the first time the Anteaters have lost to the Gauchos since 2010.

Offensively, the Anteaters were outgunned, as they hit for a mere .081 to the Gauchos’s .297. UCI was also out-blocked 11.0-4.0, but did hold the advantage in digs 23-15.

The 'Eaters look to bounce back against UCLA tonight at the Pauley Pavillon at 7:00 p.m.
The ‘Eaters look to bounce back against UCLA tonight at the Pauley Pavillon at 7:00 p.m.

UCI was led by middle blocker Jason Agopian, who had 10 kills while swinging for a .500 clip (10-3-14). Fellow middle blocker Marty Ross was errorless on 5 kills out of 6 swings to finish with a .833 hitting percentage. Outside hitter Kyle Russell also added five kills, but was held to a .00 hitting percentage (5-5-13). Outside hitters Tucker Pickula and Karl Apfelbach combined for seven kills, but each swung for a negative hitting percentage (-.267 and -.235 respectively).

Austin Kingi led the Gauchos with 10 kills, while Matt Marsh was not far behind with seven. Additionally, Henri Cherry and Ryan Hardy combined for a dozen kills at six apiece.

With the loss, UCI drops to 3-8 overall and 2-7 in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation, while the Gauchos improve to 9-5 overall and 5-4 in conference play.

UCI will travel to Westwood tonight to take on No. 2 UCLA at the Pauley Pavilion, with first serve scheduled for 7:00 p.m.