Sports in Brief

By Marvin Luu

UCI women's water polo pulls past UC Davis and CSU Bakersfield after falling to Hawai'i

UCI women’s water polo pulls past UC Davis and CSU Bakersfield after falling to Hawai’i

Men’s Golf

By the end of the final day of the Barona Collegiate Cup on March 22, senior Jacob Schulze and junior Bryan Shin tied for 22nd place, combining for 222 points to help the UCI men’s golf team finish 6th with a total of 305 points for the day. The ‘Eaters recorded a total score of 899 by the end of the two-day event, which was 61 more than host San Diego State, who ran away with the title at 838.

Shin had bounced up nine spots from 31st place, which he had sat on during the first day of the cup with 150 points. The Arcadia native had taken on 36 pars in Barona to finish statistically among the event’s top 10. Schulze joined Shin with an impressive 12 birdies.

UCI will be back in action Monday and Tuesday where they will host the Anteater Invitational at the El Niguel Country Club.

Women’s Golf

Following their two days at SDSU’s March Mayhem, the UC Irvine women’s golf team broke even with UC Davis and fell to Delaware.

Junior Samantha Chan led the way for UCI, picking up victories in both of her matchups.

Against UC Davis on Tuesday, Chan picked up a six-and-four victory over sophomore Alexandra Zheng and was the sole victor for UCI on Wednesday, defeating Delaware freshman Ashley Dingman, four and two.

Men’s Track and Field

Following a tremendous outing last year, junior Lloyd Sicard did not skip a beat on Saturday at the UC Riverside Spring Classic. Sicard dominated the 110-meter hurdles, winning the event in 13.91 seconds.

The Gardena native also had a hand in yet another victory at the meet. In the 4×400 relay, Sicard ran alongside junior Antwon Parker, freshman Isaiah Jewett and junior Brandon Howard and finished first, clocking in at 3:13.49.

Senior Cameron Vaca also had an impressive outing at the meet, trailing just a few paces back from Cornell’s Max Hairston — who went on to win the race — in the 400-meter hurdles at 53.56.

UCI concluded their day at the classic in sixth place with 74 points.

Women’s Track and Field

Junior Megan George snagged a new school record for the 100-meter hurdles event at the UC Riverside Spring Classic last Saturday, zipping past her previous record time of 13.51 and topping the race at 13.28. George’s performance at the meet is now ranked 10th in the nation.

In the same event, sophomore Tyra Jones and junior Megan Benson trailed George by a few seconds, placing third and fourth with times of 13.91 and 13.97, respectively.

In the 4×100 relay, a team consisting of sophomores Taisyn Crutchfield, Michelle Norman and Persis William-Mensah — along with George — finished in third place at 47.17.

Freshman Barbara Coward dominated the discus throw for UCI by winning the event with a mark of 162-03, which bested senior Fatima Vergara’s — who came in second for Long Beach State — mark at 156-05.

The ‘Eaters left Riverside sitting in fifth place with 77 total points among the nine competing schools.

Women’s Water Polo

Following a devastating 3-2 defeat to No. 4 Hawai’i (16-5) on Thursday, the No.7 UC Irvine women’s water polo team (13-9) bounced back with two straight victories in Manoa on Friday over No. 10 UC San Diego (19-9) and Cal State Bakersfield (13-15), 10-7 and 10-2 respectively.  

On Thursday, with just 13 seconds left and the game tied at 2-2 (courtesy of an equalizer early in the contest from junior utility MacKenzie Milham and a go-ahead shot from junior attacker Destine Albers), Hawai’i’s freshman attacker Irene Gonzalez fired in a backbreaker through UCI’s nets that allowed the Rainbow Wahine to sneak out their 14th victory of the season. Hawai’i would go on to sweep the weekend’s contests, picking up two more victories on Saturday over San Diego and Bakersfield.

In the next day, UCI found themselves in a highly-competitive contest against San Diego. After trading shot-for-shot with the Tritons in the first period, one in which junior Gabby Pierandozzi scored all three of the ‘Eaters’ goals, UCI came out aggressively in the second period by scoring three unanswered to take on a 6-3 advantage heading into the half.

Although San Diego would bounce back in the third and fourth, powering in four shots — two in each period — the ‘Eaters managed to hold on to the lead, courtesy of two saves from junior Annika Nelson in the fourth. A goal from Allie Loomis in the third as well as one from senior Emily Carlson and a pair from sophomore Mary Brooks would go on to seal the game at 10-7. Brooks, who currently leads the team with 36 goals on the season, would join Pierandozzi with a hat trick of her own.

Later that evening, Brooks recorded yet another hat trick and drew first blood against Bakersfield with just 54 seconds going off the clock. After senior Hanna Lancaster and sophomore Natalie Seidemann successfully fired in shots of their own, UCI would hold on to a commanding lead for the rest of the contest.

Defensively, Nelson rejected seven shots — four in the second half — to ice out the Roadrunners. After Seidemann secured her hat trick with two more goals in the fourth, the ‘Eaters put away Bakersfield, 10-2.

After dusting off the loss to Hawai’i with two victories, the team will look to ride on their momentum, returning home this Saturday to face off against CSUN at noon.