434

By Marvin Luu

Senior Kyle Hubbard finished first in the 400-meter hurdles Saturday at the UCLA Legends T & F Invitational.

Men’s Golf

the UCI men’s golf team placed 2nd place at their 35th Annual Anteater Invitational Tuesday with a total of 898 points, thanks in large part to senior Jacob Schulze and freshman Chris Parkinson, who had both found themselves finishing amongst the top 10 in the event.

Parkinson found himself in the top 10 for the first time in his collegiate career after leading all competitors in the event with 13 birdies, finishing with a team best 70 in the first round on Monday. Both Parkinson and Schulze finished at 223 and tied in seventh place.

Men’s Track and Field

The UCI men’s track and field team competed in two events on the road this past weekend, starting out in Texas on Thursday and Friday for the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays before heading to Los Angeles Saturday for the UCLA Legends of Track and Field Invitational.

Following a momentous outing last weekend, junior Lloyd Sicard failed to advance to the finals of the 110-meter hurdles at the 89th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays in Austin, Texas Friday after placing in 10th — one spot short of the top nine that had advanced to the finals — with a time of 14.28.

Juniors Antwon Parker and Brandon Howard, along with freshman Isaiah Jewett and Sicard, were also left out of the finals in the 4×400 relay after placing in 12th in the prelims.  

Junior Matt Seawright, who finished ninth in the hammer throw during the first day of the event on Thursday, concluded Friday by recording a mark of 172-1 (52.46m), good for 13th.

At the UCLA Legends Track and Field Invitational, senior Kyle Hubbard topped all competitors and came out victorious in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 53.30.

In the 1500 meters, Isaiah Thompson came in at 3:52.65 to take home second place.

Out on the field, freshman Omar Valenzuela placed fourth in the disc throw with a mark of 159-11 and sophomore Matt Dispenza came in sixth in the high jumps, peaking at 6-2 and three fourths.

Women’s Track and Field

Junior Megan George completed the prelims for the 100-meter hurdles in 15th at 13.76 seconds after finishing fourth in her heat Friday at the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays. On Saturday, freshman Barbara Coward finished in 13th in the disc throw, recording a mark of 156-10.

During the same weekend, seven Anteaters found themselves finishing in the top 10 at the UCLA Legends Track and Field Invitational.

Sophomore Tyra Jones was among UCI’s frontrunners, placing in sixth place in 61.73 seconds of the 400-meter hurdles.

Senior Melanie Speech finished sixth in the javelin throw with a mark of 137-4, which moves her into the No. 9 spot among UCI’s school record.

Both men’s and women’s track and field will compete in the Big West Challenge over at Cal State Fullerton this Friday.

Women’s Tennis

Cal State Fullerton (16-3) ended an 18-year drought against the UCI women’s tennis team (3-13) Saturday evening for the first time since 1998 on Saturday evening, picking up a victory over the ‘Eaters, 6-1.

After giving up the doubles point and losing out on two more points — courtesy of victories from Titan sophomore Danielle Pham over senior Andrea Duva (6-1,6-0) and junior Alexis Valenzuela over senior Sarah Gong (6-0, 6-3) — UCI sophomore Vivien Dvali cut the Titans’ lead to 3-1, scoring a point for the ‘Eaters from her matchup against freshman Sarah Nuno 6-2, 7-6 (7-3).

Despite Dvali’s victory, the Titans dominated the ‘Eaters for the remaining matches to draw out their victory by a five-point margin.

With the devastating loss, UCI will look to regroup before returning to the Anteater Tennis Stadium on Saturday, April 9 to meet UC Santa Barbara (11-7).