Sports in Brief

By Marvin Luu

Men’s Golf

Senior Jacob Schulze capped off a three-day stay that began on Monday at the 70th Western Intercollegiate in 28th place to lead all ‘Eaters. Schulze finished with 216 and displayed his best outing on Tuesday when he shot a one-under 69.

Junior David Kim trailed Schulze by three with 219, a score that brought him into the 42nd spot.

Collectively, UCI finished the 54-hole course in 11th place with a grand total of 1,116 as Stanford would go on to take it all home at 1,041. The Cardinals’ Maverick McNealy beat out Oregon’s Aaron Wise for the top slot after setting a tournament best 16-under 194.

Men’s Track and Field

Sophomore Izzak Mireles, who led all UCI entrants in the 5000-meter event at the Bryan Clay Invitational Saturday, finished in 17th with a time of 14:44.71. Freshman Branden Randall completed his heat in 15th at 15:08.08.

Junior Lloyd Sicard continues to solidify his place as one of UCI's premiere runners with yet another top finish at 13.

Junior Lloyd Sicard continues to solidify his place as one of UCI’s premiere runners with yet another top finish at 13.75 in the 110-meter hurdles Saturday.

During the final day of the Beach Invitational, which had also taken place Saturday, junior Lloyd Sicard emerged atop all UCI competitors, placing third in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 13.75. The time marks a season best for the Gardena native. Junior Matt Seawright registered a 171-7 in the disc throw to come in at 14th.

Women’s Track and Field

Junior Pearl Law topped all competitors in the 5000-meter run at the Bryan Clay Invitational Saturday with a time of 18:25.10. Law reached the finish line 9.33 seconds faster than Hawai’i freshman Sabrina Sterbis, who finished in second.

It was also a weekend of firsts as sophomore Persis William-Mensah won the 100 meters and toppled her previous school record of 11.72 at 11.69.

Joining William-Mensah’s record-setting performance, senior Kaulyn Lee-McNeill placed third in the 400-meter hurdles and improved her own UCI record, which currently sits at No. 4, at 59.09.

Of 95 competitors, junior Megan George finished fifth at 13.37 in the 100-meter hurdles.

Women’s Water Polo

Two Aggie points due to an exclusion and penalty proved to be the defining factors in a close contest between No. 5 UC Irvine (16-10, 2-2) and No. 12 UC Davis (16-11, 2-3).

Despite junior Gabby Pierandozzi’s game tying goal in the fourth at 4-4, the ‘Eaters could not hold off Davis. At the 3:07 mark, Aggies junior utility Hannah Harvey drove a back breaker past junior Annika Nelson, who had notched up 10 saves in the contest, to give Davis the lead.

With just one minute to go, junior Carla Tocchini drew a penalty shot for Davis and sealed the game, 6-4.

On Sunday, UCI bounced back with an 8-5 victory over No. 17 Pacific. Junior Destene Albers exerted herself aggressively on the offense, earning a hat trick to lead all ‘Eaters in scoring. Defensively, Nelson rejected 13 shots to hold off a potential come back and to secure the victory.