A Sneak Peek into Greek Songfest 2016

In halls and practice rooms all over campus, groups of students have spent the last four months writing, choreographing and rehearsing, all in preparation of a one night event; for all those involved, the day they’ve been working for is finally here. This Friday, the Bren Events Center will host UCI’s 37th Annual Greek Songfest.

Greek Songfest’s cast of Spamalot (including members from Delta Gamma, Phi Kappa Psi and Alpha Epsilon Pi). Photo courtesy of Cristian Cedeno.

“Greek Songfest is a yearlong philanthropy (project) that incorporates the entire Greek community at UCI,” said Cristian Cedeno, a co-marketing director on Songfest 2016’s Executive Board. “It is a celebration with Broadway musical renditions, performed in 12-13 minutes from different pairing of fraternities and sororities.”

Greek Songfest’s cast of Shrek (including members from Pi Beta Phi, Sigma Nu and Pi Kappa Alpha). Photo courtesy of Cristian Cedeno.

Each pairing of fraternities and sororities chooses one Broadway show that has not been performed in the last two years of Songfests, and writes an abridged script of the show to perform at the event. Members of the fraternities and sororities have a hand in not only writing, directing and performing in the piece, but in the promotion of the event; members of UCI Greek Life compete (with their respective fraternity/sorority pairing) to raise funds and awareness for the event.

Greek Songfest’s cast of Cinderella (including members from Alpha Phi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Phi Gamma Delta). Photo courtesy of Cristian Cedeno.

Every year, the funds raised by this philanthropic event go to a different non-profit organization; this year, Greek Songfest has partnered with The Jessie Rees Foundation, NEGU, an organization that provides care and hope to children fighting cancer. The final fundraising total for The Jessie Rees Foundation will be announced at the end of Green Songfest.

As a result of the event’s partnership with the Jessie Rees Foundation, the casts were encouraged to choose shows that would be relatable to younger audiences. This year, Songfest casts will be performing renditions of popular Broadway shows, like Cinderella, Grease and Shrek the Musical.

Greek Songfest will take place at the Bren Events Center on Friday, May 6th at 7PM.