638

By: Marvin Luu

Winning4x1Relay.BWC.5.14.16 (2)
Photo Courtesy of Big West Conference

Women’s Track and Field

Junior Megan George had a field day at the Big West Championships this past weekend at Long Beach State’s Jack Rose Track.

George snagged her second straight conference title Saturday in the 100-meter hurdles, blistering home at 13.33 seconds. She remains the sole winner of the event for UCI since 1984, when the Big West had held their first-ever women’s championships.

George was also part of a 4×100 relay team, including sophomores Taisyn Crutchfield, Michelle Norman and Persis William-Mensah, who topped the competition for the first time for UCI in 24 years with a school record-setting 44.51 seconds. This time marks the second fastest in Big West Conference championship history.

William-Mensah and Norman competed in the 100-meter, stamping in the second and fourth spots at 11.55 and 11.72 seconds respectively. Norman also placed fifth in the 200-meter with 24.03.

Senior Bridget Devaney surpassed her personal mark at 180-8 in the hammer throw with a mark of 182-5 — enough to earn her the seventh place spot.

The ‘Eaters tallied in a total of 86 1/2 points to secure the fifth spot, while UC Davis ran away with the title, besting runner-up UC Santa Barbara by a 17-point margin with 135 1/2 points.

Men’s Track and Field

Junior Lloyd Sicard became a back-to-back 110-meter hurdle champion Saturday, blistering in at 13.64 seconds — the second best in conference meet history.

Sicard joined junior Antwon Parker and freshmen Paul Resong and Isaiah Jewett in the 4×400 relay. The team came up just short of placing first with a time of 3:12.27.

Sicard and Parker were also part of the 4×100 relay team with senior Duane Solomon and junior Brandon Howard that recorded a third place finish at 40.97.

Howard also finished second in the 400-meter hurdles at 52.22 seconds while senior Cameron Vaca came in at 52.82 to register a fifth place finish in the same event.

Junior Matt Seawright placed third Saturday in the discus throw courtesy of a 173-2 mark. On Friday, Seawright kicked off competitive play for UCI, earning five early points for the ‘Eaters with a fourth place finish in the hammer throw with a mark of 203-2.

Junior Isaiah Thompson finished third in the 800-meters with 1:52.32.

After the two day event, UCI finished in seventh with 61 points. Host Long Beach State snatched their fourth consecutive title with a dominating 176-point outing.

Mamadou Workout

Since declaring for the NBA draft early last month, junior Mamadou Ndiaye has set up workouts with the Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets.

The 7-foot-6-inch Senegalese center hopes to receive some feedback from prospective teams through private workout sessions before his May 25 deadline, in which Ndiaye may choose to withdraw from the draft and return for collegiate play.

Given the fact that Ndiaye has not officially hired an agent or representative, he is still eligible to return for his senior year with the ‘Eaters.  

Ndiaye was named Big West Conference Defensive Player of the Year two of his three years with the ‘Eaters, garnering an all-time record in blocks with 218. Ndiaye averaged 12.1 points and 7.2 rebounds this past season for UCI.