296

ASUCI to Create Special Libraries Archive

ASUCI Legislative Council voted last Tuesday to create “ASUCI archiving infrastructure” in an effort to systematically preserve ASUCI documents. The bill, which passed with a unanimous 12 votes, is meant to preserve records of long-term value to help future ASUCI members.

According to the legislation’s text,  “the failure to preserve ASUCI records leads to institutional amnesia and the loss of ASUCI history as every executive officer leaves their position.” The legislation states that a system which transfers records to UCI Libraries Special Collections & Archives must be implemented before 2016-2017 executives are sworn into office.

Department of Education Advocates Modeling Criminal History Questions After UC Applications

On May 9, the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) released a resource guide entitled “Beyond the Box: Increasing Access to Higher Education for Justice-Involved Individuals,” which advocates removing criminal history questions form college admissions applications.

“The college admissions process shouldn’t serve as a roadblock to opportunity, but should serve as a gateway to unlocking untapped potential of students,” U.S. Secretary of Education John B. King Jr. said during the announcement at UCLA.

The UC system is already known for omitting questions about criminal justice involvement on its admissions applications, and serves as a model for universities nationwide who hope to eliminate criminal history questions.

“The University of California represents opportunity, not punishment,” said UC Regents President Janet Napolitano in a statement. “UC campuses don’t ask applicants for admission to provide information about past criminal convictions, and our admissions directors see no need to do so.”