2017-2018 UC Student Regent Nominated

354
354

A special committee of the UC Board of Regents nominated UC Berkeley law student Paul Monge as the 2017-18 student Regent, according to a UC Office of the President press release.

The full UC Regent board will vote on the nomination this July. If approved, Monge will serve as the student Regent-designate for the coming year, allowing him full participation in discussions and debates during all Regent meetings. He will be granted voting privileges when his one-year term as student Regent begins in July 2017.

Monge graduated from UC Santa Barbara in 2011 with a bachelor’s degree in sociology and global studies, and he earned a master’s in public policy from Harvard University in 2015. He is set to complete his J.D. from Berkeley Law in May 2018.

Currently, Monge is the UC graduate student representative on the University Committee on Planning and Budget as well as a community advisory committee member for the San Francisco Public Education Enrichment Fund. At Berkeley Law, he received the Chancellor’s Award for Public Service for his efforts to remove barriers from student voting.

As student Regent, Monge hopes to address housing affordability, food insecurity, sexual harassment and assault and the expansion of mental health services on all UC campuses.

“I plan to leverage my background in policy advocacy and community organizing to help prioritize some of the most pressing issues affecting students today,” said Monge in the press release.

Beyond being able to address pertinent issues on campus and represent the UC student body at the Regent level, the student Regent is also waived from tuition fees during the academic years in which he or she serves as the student Regent-designate or student Regent.

The special committee which nominated Monge includes Regents Charlene Zettel, John A. Perez, Gareth Elliott, Yolanda Gorman and current student Regent Avi Oved.

The student Regent application process can take several months. This year, 49 students from all 10 UC campuses applied for the position. The Board of Directors of the UC Student Association interviewed 10 semifinalists, and the UC Regents special committee interviewed three finalists before Monge was selected.

If his nomination is approved this July, during the 2016-17 academic year, Monge will serve as student Regent-designate alongside next year’s student Regent Marcela Ramirez.