353

Scholarship Fund Recommended for Revenue from UCI Faculty-Produced Textbooks

UC Irvine’s Academic Senate made a formal recommendation to faculty on April 19, asking that they donate any “personal financial gain” from textbooks they have written and assigned to a class. Academic Senate supported a general scholarship fund for revenue from faculty-produced materials, in an effort to avoid “potential conflict of interest” arising from instructors assigning their own textbooks for personal gain.

“The Academic Senate recognizes that faculty-produced instructional materials are sometimes the best materials for use in courses for which the faculty is the instructor,” Academic Senate said in a statement. “If the faculty member receives financial benefit in connection with these materials, then there is an apparent conflict of interest between the faculty who teaches the course and the UC Irvine students in the course who purchase these materials.”

To address any potential conflict of interest, they recommend that faculty donate related revenue to a general campus undergraduate scholarship fund.

“Several faculty have pushed for [this] policy in response to students commenting about the cost of textbooks, and faculty assigning their own texts,” said UCI political science professor Russell Dalton. “Students [should] ask when faculty assign their own book if they donate income to the UCI scholarship fund.”

Milo Yiannopoulos to Host “Social Justice is Cancer” Event at UCI

Breitbart technology editor and conservative speaker Milo Yiannopoulos will visit campus on Thursday, June 2 to host “Social Justice is Cancer,” a free event hosted by College Republicans at UCI (CRUCI) and UCI’s Young Americans for Liberty (YAL).

In the weeks leading up to Yiannopoulos’s appearance, CRUCI and YAL have provoked controversy with a series of posters advertising the event, which UCI administration claimed promoted “bigotry” in a schoolwide email sent earlier this month. Members of the clubs hosting the event refute these accusations, and maintain that the Yiannopoulos event will encourage open discourse.

“Universities should prepare young minds for the challenges of the real world,” according to a statement by CRUCI and YAL regarding the event. “Students should be exposed to ideas that differ from theirs – for in the real world, you don’t get a Safe Space, and there are no Trigger Warnings.”

“Social Justice is Cancer” will take place this Thursday at 7 p.m. in Social Science Plaza A 1100.

UCI’s 2016 Ingenuity Technology Showcase to Host Founder of Raspberry Pi Foundation

UCI will host Ebon Upton, founder of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, at the annual Ingenuity Technology Showcase this Wednesday, June 1. The event provides an opportunity for UCI’s engineering and ICS students to showcase their projects to alumni, corporate sponsors and donors.

Other speakers will include Paula Golden, President of the Broadcom Foundation, and John Teichrow, Senior Vice President of R&D at Quality Systems Inc.

Doors to the free event will open at 5 p.m. this Wednesday at UCI’s Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center.