William-Mensah to Compete for Spot on Ghana 4×100 Team Ahead of Olympic Games

442
442
Photo Courtesy of UCI Athletics
Photo Courtesy of UCI Athletics

By Marvin Luu

UC Irvine may have representation at the 2016 Summer Olympic games in Rio de Janiero, Brazil as sophomore Persis William-Mensah has elected to compete for a spot on a 4×100 relay team for Ghana, her native country.

To do so, William-Mensah will travel to Durban, South Africa this week for the 20th African Senior Track and Field Championships, which begins Wednesday and concludes Sunday. Along with attempting to earn a spot on the 4×100 team, she is also set to partake in the 100-meters event.

For the ‘Eaters this past season, William-Mensah has emerged as one of the program’s most elite competitors. At the Big West Conference Championships, William-Mensah blistered through the final leg of a 4×100 relay that would go on to strike first place with a time of 44:51—the second fastest time in Big West Conference Championship history.

In the 100-meters, William-Mensah came up just a bit short of toppling Long Beach State’s Courtne’ Davis—who placed first at 11:50 in the event—with a time of 11:55.

As William-Mensah hopes to capture a spot on the 4×100 relay team this week, Ghana must be considered one of the top 16 teams from around the world competing in the 4×100 relay to qualify for a trip to Rio de Janeiro.

The 2016 Summer Olympic games will officially begin with an opening ceremony on Friday, August 5th and will draw to a close Sunday, August 21st.