Anteaters Fall to No. 9 Notre Dame in Season Opener

UC Irvine dropped its season opener, 4-0, Friday night to No. 9 Notre Dame in the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament marking its first loss to open a season since a 3-0 loss to Navy back in 2004.

Despite the loss, fifth-year senior Elliot Farmer put up a fight in net in front of friends and family making a career-high seven saves including two point blank stops to start things off.

The 'Eaters could not hold off No. 9 Notre Dame's aggressive start in their season opener Friday evening

The ‘Eaters could not hold off No. 9 Notre Dame’s aggressive start in their season opener Friday evening

Notre Dame (1-0) slipped one by early on in the 26th minute as Evan Panken nudged home a scramble in the box to put the Irish up 1-0 which extended into the half.

Notre Dame and their keeper Chris Hubbard were not tested entirely too much facing just seven shots and one on frame to earn the shutout.

UND would push their lead to 2-0 after Jon Gallagher’s bullet from the top of the box clanged in off Farmer and the crossbar in the 59th minute. Shortly thereafter, UND earned a penalty on a foul in the box, and Brandon Aubrey finished it from the spot for the 3-0 lead in the 62nd minute.

Gallagher got a brace on the final blow for the Irish deflecting home a pass through the box in the 78th minute for the 4-0 lead and victory.

UC Irvine saw a lot of new faces get some action with Anteater debuts for seven players including starters Giovanni Godoy and Christian Carrillo. Alda Perez joined them as transfer to see their first action. Armon Ojuola was the lone starter to make his collegiate debut, and fellow freshmen Andrew Guerrero, Christian Gutierrez, and Jose Ortiz also got their first minutes.

Despite the slow start, UC Irvine had another chance to get a win this weekend as it wraps up its stay in the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament Sunday, Aug. 28, with an 8:30 a.m. match against No. 15 Indiana who scored a 90th-minute victory in the earlier match on Friday over New Mexico.