UCI’s Woes Continue in Indiana With 3-1 Loss

553
553

Despite an equalizer from freshman forward Jose Ortiz, the ‘Eaters dropped their second straight Sunday against the Hoosiers
UCI is still looking for their first win of the season after a 3-1 loss to the No. 15 Indiana Hoosiers during their second and final match of the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament in South Bend on Sunday morning. Despite the loss, the ‘Eaters were able to knock in their first score of the season thanks to an unassisted Jose Ortiz goal, and played a much more competitive match than their loss earlier in the weekend.

Hoosier Grant Lillard opened up the scoring with a header in the 22nd minute to give Indiana the lead, despite being outshot by the Anteaters in the first half 5-3.

Ortiz, a freshman at UCI, put in the aforementioned goal for the ‘Eaters in the 64th minute with his first career goal drawing them level at 1-1.

After conceding the goal, the Hoosiers turned up the heat and quickly answered with a strike of their own in the 76th minute. Senior midfielder Tanner Thompson, who finished with a goal and an assist, put one past the keeper to give Indiana a demanding lead.

Hoosier Richard Ballard added a score in the 90th minute to make it a 3-1 final.

The ‘Eaters will need to stay healthy to compete with the top teams this season, and suffered from having Preseason All-Conference Defender Thomas Janjigian sidelined for nearly the entire first half.

They will have to the rest of the week to heal and regroup before hosting Grand Canyon on Friday at Anteater Stadium for their home debut, where they look to secure their first win.