End of an Era: Women’s Tennis Coach Mike Edles Retires After 20 Years at UCI

After playing for UCI from 1975-1979, Mike Edles returned to his alma mater to coach in 1997. He would go on to bring the ‘Eaters to 12 Big West Tournament Finals and three NCAA appearances.

After 20 years as head coach of the UCI women’s tennis team, Mike Edles announced his retirement from the program Thursday.

It will be an enormous task to replace the steady hand that guided the Anteaters for the last two full decades, exuding class in both victory and defeat.

Luckily for UCI fans, it was more often victory. Fifteen of his twenty seasons resulted in winning records, including an astounding 12 Big West tournament finals and 3 trips to the NCAA tournament.

Edles won the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regional Coach of the Year in 2007 and 2010, and Big West Coach of the Year five times, most recently in 2013.

During the 2013 season, the Anteaters swept the conference regular season and won a school-high 23 games en route to their third NCAA Tournament appearance.

Edles is responsible for guiding the program to its first ever NCAA Tournament match win in that 2013 season, as well as its first Big West Tournament Championship back in 2010.

Edles played on the UCI men’s tennis team as a student from 1975-79, and was recognized as an All-American in both singles and doubles play in 1977 on the Division 2 National Championship Team. Upon graduation, Edles was named the head coach of men’s tennis at Cal State Hayward. He would later serve Chapman University and Cal State Bakersfield before heading to Boise State to coach the women’s tennis squad.

He was also briefly assistant coach for the University of Hawaii’s men’s and women’s programs before returning to coach his alma mater in 1997.