UCI Hits Road Block Against Florida Gulf Coast Eagles, 2-1

The Men’s Soccer Team (1-3-0) was unable to carry over the momentum from their victorious home opener, falling 2-1 to the visiting Florida Gulf Coast Eagles (1-2-1) on Sunday at Anteater Stadium. The ‘Eaters fought all game to finally tie it up in the 78th minute, only to fall behind for good in the 79th.

UCI was able to increase their chances on the offensive end, putting up 12 shots to Friday’s 5, but could only find the net the once.

Despite managing to level the game up in the 78th minute, the 'Eaters failed to contain the Eagles Sunday evening, dropping their third game on the season.

Despite managing to level the game up in the 78th minute, the ‘Eaters failed to contain the Eagles Sunday evening, dropping their third game on the season.

Despite outshooting the Eagles 6-4 in the first half, the ‘Eaters found themselves behind heading into the break.

The Eagles capitalized on a turnover in UCI territory in the second minute to go ahead 1-0, as Dylan Sacramento fed Albert Ruiz for the score.

The teams traded possessions for the next 75 minutes as both defenses were able to keep the door shut. UCI goalkeeper Elliot Farmer notched 4 saves giving him 19 on the year, while FGCU keeper Sawyer Jackman registered 5.

The ‘Eaters finally rallied to level the score in the 78th minute after midfielder Mario Ortiz slipped a pass from the endline to a waiting Luis Leon, who headed it home for this first goal of the season.

FGCU immediately responded to snatch the lead right back, as Dennis Zapata took it himself for an unassisted goal, finishing past the keeper just inside the right post.

A last-ditch effort by the Anteaters fell short in the closing minutes as two close calls missed their mark and the Eagles walked away with the victory.

The loss brings the ‘Eaters’ record to 1-3 on the season, 1-1 at home, as they head out to Santa Clara to take on the Broncos next Saturday.