Sports Weekend Recap

This weekend has proved to be a powerful one for the UCI women's soccer team, which swept their opponents at the Fullerton Tournament to bring themselves to 7-1 on the season.

This weekend has proved to be a powerful one for the UCI women’s soccer team, which swept their opponents at the Fullerton Tournament to bring themselves to 7-1 on the season.

UCI Women’s Soccer

UC Irvine women’s soccer (7-1-0) made fine work of their time at the Fullerton Tournament this weekend, defeating Oregon (5-1-1) Friday, 3-2 before dominating UAB (3-4-0) Sunday, 4-0 shut out. By sweeping their competition, the ‘Eaters move to 7-1 this season, which puts them just one place behind an undefeated UC Santa Barbara (8-0-0) in the Big West standings.

Throughout the tournament, the ‘Eaters were offensively locked in and firing on all cylinders. Over the two days of competition, the team outshot their opponents, 42-8.

Against the Oregon Ducks, UCI put up 14 shots, half of which landed on goal. The Ducks managed just six shots, though two did manage to slip past UCI freshman keeper Maddie Newsom.

Two days later, the ‘Eaters doubled their attempts at 28 with 11 shots meeting the keeper. UAB spent most of their work on the defense with just two looks for the entirety of the match.

After putting six past the net on the weekend, the ‘Eaters have racked up 19 goals thus far, surpassing their grand total of 14 last year.

Defensively, the ‘Eaters perimeter defenders did their work as Newsom was caught just twice—both in the hands of Oregon—for the entirety of the tournament.

Oregon, 3-1

On Friday, UCI kicked off the tournament by derailing a powerful Oregon team that had been sitting on a five game win streak.

The win, however, was by no means an easy feat for the ‘Eaters, who had forced themselves to play catch up after conceding an early goal in the 23rd minute. In fact, the game would not be officially won until the 88th minute.

Trailing early, UCI would eventually catch up 17 minutes later when redshirt junior defender Noel Baham buried in a goal off a pass that was headed off of junior forward Kiana Palacios. Baham’s second career shot would equalize the game, 1-1.

While the Ducks put up just six shots for the night, their first two proved to be highly efficient. After converting their first goal on their first attempt, Oregon returned in the 52nd minute to put the pressure back on the ‘Eaters. Sophomore forward Kyra Fawcett created some space in the box before meeting Newsom one-on-one and subsequently flicking it up and past the first year keeper for a 2-1 Oregon lead. Fawcett’s goal would be the last of the Duck’s momentous charge.

Oregon held the lead for just three minutes before the ‘Eaters notched it up again, courtesy of a Palacios header that was sent in from above the six yard box off a free kick from junior defender Andrea Mensen. The goal marked Palacios’ seventh goal on the season.

Of the 10 shots that the ‘Eaters went on to take in the second half, the game defining one came from senior Sammie James. In the 88th minute, Palacios sent a corner kick straight to Baham who launched it against the crossbar. James, who was sent into her third game on the season just seven minute earlier, collected the rebound and knocked in her first goal of the season into net for the game winner.

University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), 4-0

While UCI had battled for Friday’s match, the team’s dominance was on full display Sunday when four different players rattled the nets on 28 attempts. While the Blazers failed to land a single shot on goal—they’re only two attempts went wide and high—the ‘Eaters were three shots short of shooting 50% on the field with 11 that hit the mark.

UAB did all they could defensively, stopping the ‘Eaters on seven occasions, but the offensive barrage kept going.

In her eighth career game, seventh start, freshman midfielder Jessica Miclat broke the match open with her first career goal. In the 23rd minute, Miclat converted her second attempt on the match when she received a pass from Baham in the box to punch it past the left post.

Shortly after, Baham returned to put one on the boards herself when she recovered a blocked header from junior midfielder Grayson Galbraith. Baham’s goal was her third career goal and second in tournament play.

Following the trend of assisting and subsequently scoring, Galbraith slipped one past the keeper within the opening minute of the second half courtesy of an assist from junior midfielder Alex Karlowitsch.

With a commanding 3-0 lead, sophomore midfielder Lili Andino provided the extra insurance in the 58th minute after recovering a Baham pass and crushing up a shot high up and under the crossbar.

After falling to Nevada, the ‘Eaters have strung together a nifty three game win streak and will look to keep their momentum rolling when they held into Davis Field to face Idaho State Thursday, September 15th at 3:00pm.

Men’s Soccer

An own goal was the difference for UCI as the men’s soccer team (1-4) lost 1-0 to the Santa Clara Broncos (3-2) on Saturday night at Stevens Stadium. A highly contested match seemed to be going the ‘Eaters way for most of the match until Santa Clara was able to take the lead in the 66th minute.

UCI outshot the Broncos 5-2 in the first half, but struggled to put attempts on goal. A chance just after the second half began was squandered when a strike from junior Randall McDermott missed the target and ricocheted off the post.

Santa Clara started to apply pressure late and almost caught UCI in the shot column by the time the final whistle blew.

Goalie Elliot Farmer was able to register a save on the only Bronco shot fired on target, but could not stop a header gone awry from fellow Anteater defender Thomas Janjigian.

Bronco keeper Dakota Havlick kept three Anteater shots out of the net, but the soccer gods almost evened the scales before Santa Clara neutralized an own goal scare of their own in the 85th minute.

Following the loss, the ‘Eaters drop to 1-4 on the year while Santa Clara improves to 3-2.

The Anteaters return home where they have fared better so far this season, hosting Loyola Marymount at Anteater Stadium on Wednesday evening.

Men’s Water Polo

Before heading to La Verne for the Inland Empire Classic on Sunday, the No. 8 UC Irvine men’s water polo team (3-2) faced No. 5 Stanford (5-0) on the road for a non-conference showdown.

The ‘Eaters were unable to withstand a fourth period surge by the Cardinal and drop the game by a score of 10-5. After maintaining a good pace for three quarters, the ‘Eaters fell victim to a 5-2 run in the final period to allow the Cardinal to remain undefeated at 5-0. For the ‘Eaters, freshman Jon Polos led with a brace while junior goalkeeper Matej Matjevic was busy in between the pipes recording 13 saves. Irvine would need to recuperate quickly as they had two games on Sunday in the Inland Empire Classic.

Starting off the tournament, the ‘Eaters played Pomona-Pitzer (2-4) where they garnered a 9-7 victory behind sophomore Jack Trush’s career high tying four goal performance. Freshman Bryant Joudrie and junior Ryan Warde both helped in the scoring department with two goals apiece. Matjevic had another double-digit saves outing with 12.

Later in the day, the ‘Eaters faced Whittier College (5-2) where they proved to be victorious, 8-4. UCI would keep the Poets scoreless in the second quarter to create enough space to pull out their second win on the day. Trush continued with the hot hand notching a hat-trick for the ‘Eaters. The scoring was more balanced this time for the ‘Eaters as six different players found the back of the cage. With a huge showing at goalkeeper once agains was Matjevic who registered 18 saves against the Poets, proving to be the anchor on defense for the ‘Eaters this past weekend.

Sitting at 3-2 on the early season, the ‘Eaters will have their home opener against Concordia University on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. at the Anteater Aquatics Complex.

Women’s Volleyball

In the middle of their challenging road trip, the UC Irvine women’s volleyball team (3-7) were set to compete in the USD Invitational this past weekend.

The ‘Eaters failed to capture a win at the Invitational as they fell to No. 15 San Diego (5-2), No. 7 UCLA (7-1), and No. 18 Colorado (5-2). UCI was only able to come up with one set victory in the weekend in their game against the host Toreros.

A strong start against San Diego, posting a .321 clip in the first set, would not carry through as the ‘Eaters went on to hit a poor .115 for the rest of the match. After being able to be victorious in the first set, the ‘Eaters would lose three consecutive to lose the match 3-1 against the Toreros on Thursday. Despite the loss, the ‘Eaters garnered season bests with 12 service aces and 10 blocks.

Friday night, the ‘Eaters faced off against the No. 7 Bruins where they were swept in three sets. UCLA hit a .368 clip while holding the ‘Eaters to a poor .043 for the match. The ‘Eaters never led on the night and would go on to face Colorado for their concluding game of the tournament.

Saturday’s matchup against Colorado proved to have the same result as their matchup against UCLA. as the ‘Eaters were defeated in three straight sets. The ‘Eaters were out hit by Colorado .375 to .134. Colorado proved to be the much more physical team as they out blocked the ‘Eaters 14-2 for the match.

The ‘Eaters fall to 3-7 on the season with a one-game stop at Fresno State before participating in the Roadrunner Classic in Bakersfield this weekend.