News in Brief, Week Two

“Largest Turnout in Recent History” Attends UCI Screening of First Presidential Debate

More than 400 UCI students attended a screening of the first presidential debate last Monday night in Pacific Ballroom D, marking the “largest screening turnout in [recent UCI] history,” according to ASUCI President Tracy La. The event was sponsored by ASUCI’s 60 by 16 initiative, which aims to register 60 percent of UCI’s students to vote by the 2016 election, as well as College Republicans at UCI and College Democrats at UCI.

The debate featured Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and Republican candidate Donald Trump, and was moderated by NBC News’s Lester Holt. It was sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates, a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization.

The debate’s format was more restrained than previous debates in the 2016 election cycle; the event was divided into six 15-minute segments, throughout which the live audience was instructed to remain silent. Holt’s questions were divided into three topics: “achieving prosperity, America’s direction and securing America.”

“We are getting closer to the election, and I’m really glad to see that so many students were willing to come out at 6 p.m. on a Monday night to watch a streamed political debate and were genuinely engaged the entire time,” said La.

ASUCI will host another debate screening, on Tuesday Oct. 4 from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., of the first and only vice presidential campaign between Democratic candidate Tim Kaine and Republican candidate Mike Pence. The free screening will be held in Pacific Ballroom D, and like the first screening, will feature on-site voter registration and snacks.

State Approves $22 Million Investment in UC Entrepreneurship

Governor Jerry Brown approved a UC-sponsored bill on Friday, AB 2664, which will grant $22 million to the University of California to fund equipment, entrepreneurial training and legal services for students. The funds are intended to foster entrepreneurial projects, and will be split equally among UC’s 10 campuses. UC is expected to “raise matching funds to maximize return on the state’s investment,” according to a University of California press release.

“We are grateful to the Legislature for such strong support of the university, ensuring that our researchers, faculty and students — and California as a whole — remain at the forefront of game-changing innovation,” said UC President Janet Napolitano. “We are excited to harness the power of UC research and make an even bigger impact on the California economy and the public good.”

UC Partners with Boys & Girls Club of America to Prepare Youth for College

UC announced a partnership program with the Boys & Girls Club of America last Wednesday, which will provide college and career guidance to more than 6,000 Boys & Girls Club members.

The pilot program will include three campuses: UCLA, UC Merced and UC San Francisco. Members of each campus’s UC Early Academic Outreach Programs (EAOP) will partner with club members and provide them with college-based information and support.

The program is part of UC President Janet Napolitano’s recent initiative to increase enrollment of California students as well as the diversity of undergraduates.