News in Brief, Week Three

ASUCI Hosts Vice Presidential Debate Screening

About 50 students attended ASUCI’s the screening of the vice presidential debate between Tim Kaine (D) and Mike Pence (R) in Pacific Ballroom C last Tuesday.

ASUCI’s 60 by 16 Campaign, College Democrats at UCI and College Republicans at UCI co-hosted the event in order to register students to vote and to foster political discourse.

Although the student viewer turnout was not as high as the previous week’s screening of the first presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, which drew more than 400 students, several students in attendance were still registered to vote by the 60 by 16 campaign. The campaign aims to register 60 percent of UCI undergraduates to vote by this election’s Oct. 24 deadline; more than 2500 students have been registered by the campaign since the start of fall quarter.

UCI Named one of America’s Most Affordable Doctoral Psychology Programs 

University ranking site “Online Psychology Degrees” ranked UC Irvine as one of the most affordable doctoral programs in  psychology in the United States on Sept. 27.

UCI ranked 13 on the list, which had several other UC campuses, including UC Davis at 14, UC San Diego at 12, UCLA at 11 and UC Berkeley at 10.  The rankings were determined by weighing criteria, including cost of attendance, accreditation and inclusion in US News and World Report’s prior rankings of top graduate schools for psychology in the United States, in which UCI tied for 30th place with several other universities.

The new ranking also highlighted the multiple specializations available within UC Irvine’s psychology doctoral program, such as Health Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Social/Personality Psychology and Affective Science.

UC Irvine Health Lays off 175 employees 

UC Irvine Health began layoffs this past week to cut operating costs. The layoffs will not affect doctors or faculty, but rather administrative staff and support positions like nurses.

Staff are being informed individually whether they are being let go, and the staff in general was informed about the layoffs when Howard Federoff, UC Irvine Health’s chief executive, sent an email to them last Monday.

UC Irvine Health officials made sure to note that the cuts are not system-wide, and that layoffs will not occur at other UC medical centers, like San Francisco, Davis, San Diego or Los Angeles.

UCI Adds 100 New Faculty Members

UC Irvine brought in 100 new faculty members for the 2016-17 academic year, the largest group of such hires in the campus’s history.

As part of UCI’s strategic plan announced last year, Chancellor Howard Gillman set a goal to add 250 new faculty members by the year 2020.

Schools across campus saw an increase in staff, with the School of Medicine experiencing the largest influx at 26. Next, the School of Humanities and School of Social Ecology each received 11 while the School of Physical Sciences gained 10.