344

UCI Named One of Healthiest Schools in US

Healthy lifestyle website Greatist named UC Irvine one of the 26 healthiest campuses in the US on Oct. 3. UCI was one of only five schools recognized on the west coast.

The site states that UCI “caters to people who love being outside.” The school was praised for its offering of sailing, kayaking, and stand-up paddleboard classes at Marina Park in Newport Beach as well as the school’s range of health-oriented indoor activities including dance and cooking classes.

UCI was also noted for its “social workers, programs dedicated to helping victims of sexual assault, wellness workshops, and an LGBTQ mentoring program.”

Students Rally After UC Irvine Health Lays Off 175 Employees 

UC Irvine Health laid off 175 employees beginning Oct. 3 to minimize costs through payroll cuts. In addition, 79 vacant positions have been cut.

According to an OC Register report, UCI officials state they are “confronting market forces, health trends and government policies that threaten our ability to fulfill our mission.”

Howard Federoff, vice chancellor of health affairs and CEO of UC Irvine Health, stated that immediate actions had to be made and staff layoffs were unavoidable. Officials also blame financial struggles on healthcare reforms put in place by the Affordable Care Act.

The cuts are expected to save UCI $40 million this fiscal year ending June 30 and $100 million in the 2018 fiscal year.

In response, UCI students have organized a Solidarity Action with UCI Health Workers scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 18 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the UCI Medical Center. Nearly one hundred students are expected to attend in support of UCI Health workers’ rights.

UCI Study Examines How Astronauts’ Brains Are Affected

A UC Irvine study appearing in British scientific journal Nature’s Scientific Report reveals new findings on “space brain.”

The study, led by UCI professor of radiation oncology, Charles Limoli, is conducting research on what happens to astronauts’ brains when in space. Tests done on rats found that increased exposure to highly energetic charged particles, found in galactic cosmic rays experienced by astronauts in space, results in long-term brain damage that can lead to brain inflammation and dementia.

Limoli and his team are currently exploring solutions and preventative treatments to counter this problem.