Tuesday, April 23, 2024
HomeNewsCampus NewsNews in Brief, Week Five

News in Brief, Week Five

Mamadou Drafted by Pistons

The Detroit Pistons signed former UC Irvine basketball player Mamadou N’Diaye  to a contract last Saturday, Oct. 22. The 7’6”, 300-pound Senegalese center played for UCI for three years before leaving to enter the 2016 NBA Draft.

N’Diaye was the 2014 and 2016 Big West Defensive Player of the Year and ranks first in career blocks in Big West history with 218. In the 2015-16 season, he was a conference first-teamer and averaged 12.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 2.4 blocks. He was also first in rebounds, defensive rating, and two-point field goals.

After going undrafted N’Diaye played in the summer league for the Golden State Warriors but was not signed.

N’Diaye will likely be heading to the Grand Rapids Drive, the Pistons’ D-League affiliate.

New Concert Venue To Open in OC

Live Nation Entertainment and land developer FivePoint Communities announced plans on Oct. 18 for a 12,000-seat temporary concert venue in Orange County Great Park, which is expected to open next spring.

The facility will replace Irvine Meadows Amphitheater, whose land lease expires in 2017, as the primary concert venue in Orange County. Irvine Meadows, which opened in 1981, has previously hosted concerts by Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, Fallout Boy, and Billy Joel. The venue is also home to many musical festivals like Lollapalooza and Lilith Fair.

Pending approval from the city, the new venue will stand for three years as plans to construct a new permanent amphitheatre are in development.

UCI Interfaith Center Closes

After 40 years, the UCI Interfaith Center, home of the University Campus Community, has closed its doors. Future meetings will be held at St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton (SEAS).

The center served 2,000 people per week, held masses on Sundays and Monday through Thursday, and fundraised for the Catholic community.

Interfaith was previously completely funded via donations.