News in Brief, Week Six

373
373

Early Voting Site at UCI on Nov. 1

The flagpoles near Aldrich Hall will serve as an Orange County Registrar of Voters Official Early Voting Site on Tuesday, Nov. 1 from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. All registered voters in Orange County will have the opportunity to cast their ballots prior to Election Day at that site, or any of the other designated early voting centers throughout the county, regardless of their specified polling places. On Election Day (Tuesday, Nov. 8), voters will be required to go to a single designated polling place if they did not vote early.

UC Representatives to Meet Thousands of Students Across California

UC Representatives including UC President Janet Napolitano, UC Chancellors, graduates and admissions advisors have announced that they will travel to over 100 schools, community events and outreach events starting in early November in order to aid students applying to UCs.

The visits are a key piece of Achieve UC, a plan spearheaded by President Napolitano meant to increase the number of applicants at and improve diversity of all nine UC campuses. The visits’ goals are to address the two major issues of affordability and access.

UC officials note that two-thirds of California students who apply get into a UC, and one out of every three UC graduates transferred from a community college.

UC officials emphasize that California has one of the largest financial aid systems in the U.S.  They also stated that “more than half of California undergraduates pay no tuition, and three-quarters pay less than full tuition.”

Google Ends Fiber Optic Network Expansion in Irvine, Cuts Staff

Google notified the city of Irvine on Oct. 25 that they would not be expanding their fiber optics network despite viewing the city as a possible expansion location in late 2015.

Fiber optic cables allow for the transfer of large amounts of data at incredibly fast speeds — typically one gigabit per second.

Alphabet, the parent company of Google, stated that the company will focus on alternative methods of deploying high-speed internet and shifting to new technologies. The cost of digging up metropolitan roads to lay costly fiber optic cables was widely cited as one of the reasons for ending the expansion.

Google Fiber will continue to operate in the eight metro areas it already services, including Atlanta, Nashville and Salt Lake City.

Activist and Former Politician Tom Hayden Dies at 76

Activist, former politician and author Tom Hayden died at the age of 76 on Oct. 23 in Santa Monica, California.

Hayden began as a civil rights and antiwar activist in the 1960s, founded the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) and was one of the infamous Chicago Seven who were prosecuted after riots broke out in Chicago at the 1968 Democratic National Convention.

Throughout the late 1960s and early 1970s, Hayden made several publicized trips to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. Hayden and his then-wife, Jane Fonda, even made a film entitled “Introduction to the Enemy,” depicting their interactions with Vietnamese citizens as they traveled throughout the country.

As time passed, Hayden came to work within the political establishment, winning a seat in the California Legislature in Sacramento in 1982 and holding it for a decade. Afterwards he was a state senator from 1993 to 2000.

After his political career, Hayden worked as director of the Peace and Justice Resource Center in Culver City, which opposed the wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and other U.S. military reactions around the world.

UCI Law Professor Wins Trailblazer Award

Assistant law professor Sung Eun (Summer) Kim was presented with the Orange County Korean American Bar Association’s (OC KABA) Trailblazer Award at their 11th Annual Installation Dinner on Oct. 20.

Professor Kim is also Director of UCI’s Korea Law Center which was established in 2009. The Center strives to combat issues where the U.S. and Korean Law cross paths.

Kim received her B.A. in Economics from Seoul National University and her J.D. from Harvard Law School. She’s practiced law at San Francisco-based Kirkland & Ellis and New York-based Shearman & Sterling. She previously taught at the University of Illinois.