‘Eaters’ Loss to Bakersfield Marks Third Straight at Home

An efficient shooting night by Cal State Bakersfield proved to be too much for the UC Irvine women’s basketball team (1-10) to contain as the ‘Eaters dropped their third straight game of their five game home stand Saturday evening, 86-66.

As the ‘Eaters put in just 38.2 percent of their shots, the Roadrunners found the hot touch early and went on to hit 53.3 percent from the field, 50 percent from three, and converted 80 percent of their free throws.

UCI took a slight advantage on the boards, securing 34 to the Roadrunners’ 32, but Bakersfield commanded the rest of the stat sheet, dishing out 15 assists, pounding in 26 points in the paint, and finding 41 points from their reserves.

In the loss, three ‘Eaters finished in double figures. Junior forward Sabrina Engelstad led the team with 17 points as freshman guard Brooke Bayman came off the bench and had her best collegiate performance yet, registering 15 points, 8 assists, and four steals in 27 minutes. Bouncing back from a quiet outing against UNLV, senior forward Shereen Sutherland returned to form by contributing 12 points on 3-6 shooting on the floor (6-8 from the line) while securing eight rebounds.

The ‘Eaters fell down early, but closed in on a 44-23 first half deficit in the third when the team managed to power back and outscore the Roadrunners in the quarter, 22-20. When Bayman swept in for a lay-up at the 4:54 minute mark, UCI brought the deficit down to 13, 54-41.

Bakersfield, however, were unstoppable and continued to keep UCI at bay. Led by Redshirt senior forward Erika Williams, who finished with 19 points on 7-9 shooting from the field, the Roadrunners went on a 10-4 run to push the lead back to 19.

Despite continuing to find the basket in the fourth, with Engelstad, Bayman, and Sutherland combining to put up 13 of the ‘Eaters’ 21 in the quarter, the Roadrunners were unstoppable. Taking advantage of their early run, Bakersfield put up 22 more points to secure the victory at 86-66.

UCI must regroup quickly, as their busy home stretch will continue tomorrow when they face off against Southern Utah at 7:00pm.