New Year’s Resolutions 2017

After an eventful 2016, I decided to do something drastic for my New Year’s resolution. As the year came to a close, I realized that I’d been spending a lot of time on my electronic devices, be it my laptop, phone, or even the TV. Knowing that winter quarter would need more attention from my end, I decided to delete all social media applications and mobile games off my phone. Yes, all of them. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter. The afflicted games included Hill Climb Racing, Minecraft and Clash of Clans, among others. I even queued up a status to post on my accounts to inform anyone interested that, yes, — I’m still well and alive. Effective January 1, 2017, my phone had become decluttered.

While I don’t intend on making my social media “detox” last forever, it’s still a great opportunity. Resolutions are useful, since they represent the idea of working towards a better self. The attractive idea of unlocking our potential with resolutions is exactly why we still make them every year. It’s been six days since I started my resolution, and I haven’t looked back since. I have to say, though, the first day was the most difficult. I found myself looking at my phone aimlessly more times than I’d like to admit. Thankfully, I’d encountered this type of obstacle from past resolutions, so I came prepared. The first few days I inundated myself with activities; spending time with my family, watching TV, playing tennis and writing (on pen and paper). The plan worked like a charm. I simply didn’t have time to worry about the latest Instagram post or Snapchat story. I’d cleared the first hurdle towards independence from my phone.

It’s quite liberating to truly enjoy life in front of me and not by proxy on social media. Although I know my resolve will continue to be tested in the future, I’m planning on sticking it out until the very end. Some dismiss making resolutions as a waste of time. However, I, for one, am excited by the idea of beginning something beneficial and long lasting.

Eashan Kotha is a first-year biological sciences major. He can be reached at ekotha@uci.edu

__________

The early stages of 2017 mark the beginning of new year’s resolutions. A futile endeavor, to say the least.
Each year, I strive to further improve myself. A resolution signifies a year-long obligation to move along a certain path to reach a goal. But if I experience a gradual change toward a healthier, happier state, then it shouldn’t matter how or when I reach it.

Setting specific objectives often leads people to completely neglect living their lives or develop new goals and passions. For instance, college students working solely toward excellent grades in their major may dismiss the various clubs, sports, or other branches of study that may pique their interest. In this way, being single-minded about fulfilling a new year’s resolution can limit one’s freedom throughout the year.

The desire for specificity when tailoring resolutions as a child served as an opportunity to start fresh with a positive mindset of what I hoped to achieve. My goals hung over my desk as motivation. However, regardless of my hard work, I would end the year despising those scraps of paper because I had not quite completed what I sought out to do. I will admit that my goals were a little ambitious — one year, I vowed to master three instruments, but ended the year as a proficient guitarist — but the idea of resolutions and their corresponding failures were a recurring theme.
With age came a realization as to why we’re all “bad at keeping resolutions.” People endorse the idea that “anything is possible,” yet they fail to mention the actual work needed to reach success. The result is a discouraged demeanor after not reaching their initial goals, possibly hindering further attempts to advance.

Without a resolve to enhance one’s skills or character, failure is imminent. New Year’s resolutions are a contract with yourself. Regardless of whether the goal is reached, people should revel in their progress and newly-gained experiences.

Lilith Martirosyan is a second-year business administration major. She can be reached at llmartir@uci.edu.

__________

Every new year, we want to become better versions of ourselves, so we set resolutions for things we want to accomplish, get better at, or stop doing. While the purpose of resolutions is healthy, we must work toward making more practical and realistic resolutions instead of making vague and futile promises at the start of each new year. Resolutions are important, but making the right kind of resolution makes all the difference.

My new year resolutions this year are more down-to-earth and simple than in previous years. I want to stop overthinking situations and live my life. I feel that making big problems out of small occurrences isn’t healthy and is detrimental to positivity. People who live in the moment have more fun and don’t set themselves up for disappointment — that’s the kind of person I aspire to be this year.

Another resolution I have is to stress less about situations I cannot change so that I can be happier. Many of us set resolutions related to finding love, losing weight and trying to make more money. While these resolutions aren’t necessarily bad, these are things that come and go, regardless of what year it is. Also, these resolutions set a person up for failure if these goals aren’t reached. If the resolution is reached, nothing guarantees that it will last after that year is over. It is better to set resolutions that we can consistently work on and that will help us as individuals.

Instead of resolving to find someone to love you, resolve to love and be kinder to yourself. Don’t make losing weight your goal; instead make it your goal to go to the gym three times a week or to eat healthier. Your resolutions only work when they are things you can actually control and actively work toward accomplishing.

Daisy Murguia is a first-year literary journalism major. She can be reached at dmurguia@uci.edu.

__________

I learned from my dad, a rather cynical man, that New Year’s Resolutions are pointless. The new year shouldn’t impel vows for personal growth — improving yourself should be a permanent goal. While I agree with the principle, this year, I have decided to make a real resolution.

It started from a conversation with a friend, who decided to use this year as a chance to transform. He’s going to live healthier, fine-tune his career goals and overall be good to himself — something he hasn’t done in many years. Talking to him about his hopes for this year inspired me, and made me believe in the power of a new year, a new opportunity.

He asked what my resolution was and my first instinct was to say something about my dreams as a filmmaker. Quickly, he shut it down, saying that’s a goal, not a resolution. A resolution was something deeper, something abstract.
“Okay,” I said, “How about this. I’m going to be braver.”

He loved it.

If you know me, you could describe me as confident. I don’t have a problem with public speaking and I love contributing to classroom discussions. I dance freely, dress boldly, am very certain of myself and who I am. But behind this veil of tenacity lies someone who defaults into timidity.

I don’t like elevators or roller skates or spontaneous trips. Trying new things makes me nervous. If there’s any possibility for something to go wrong, I convince myself that it will. I’m a worst-case scenario kind of person and it keeps me up late at night, imagining in the thick darkness every consequence or potential disaster.
I don’t know how to not worry about everything.

As 2017 begins, the world has a lot to be worried about. But I can’t let political and ecological fear seep into my every interaction. This is the year I relax, strap on some roller skates, and glide my way towards the exhilaration of an unknown future.

Savannah Peykani is a fourth year literary journalism and film and media studies double major. She can be reached at speykani@uci.edu.

__________

I’ve always had mixed feelings about New Year’s Resolutions. I am more of an, “I’m going to turn my life around,” at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday type of girl. A part of me wants to start fresh every year and work towards the best version of myself. The other, more cynical, part of me knows not to start something I can’t finish — so I just never start.
But this year is different. I made a concrete, do-able resolution to read more in 2017. Whether it’s gossip magazines or long form articles, novels or poems, I just want to read more. When people approach reading they tend to pick an extreme like read a book a week. I know there’s no way I could accomplish a resolution like that nor do I feel that I need to. Because we’ve become so consumed by watching television or playing games on our phones, the art of reading feels like it’s starting to disappear where even reading one New York Times article seems like too much work.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not banning television or phone games from my daily life (sorry mom). I just want to read a good piece of writing at some point in my day that’s longer than 140 characters.
It also goes with my other resolution to learn something new. I briefly considered trying to learn Spanish and then realized there’s a reason I almost failed that class. So instead, I decided I’m going to learn how to do card tricks. Following a brief and potentially unhealthy obsession with David Blaine, I’ve become mystified with magic tricks. I’ve always really liked magic and watching magic shows but after numerous and public failures, I’ve given up the dream. But no more. This year, I’m going to finally learn some tricks and stop using the excuse that I have small hands so I can’t hold all the cards correctly. And now that I’ve put it in print, I can be shamed into doing it.

Caitlin Antonios is a second year literary journalism and English double major. She can be reached at cfantoni@uci.edu.