News in Brief 1/10/2017

UC Irvine Professors Awarded Hellman Fellowships

Six UCI junior faculty members in various branches of scientific research have each been awarded $50,000 Hellman Fellowships.

Recipients include Jacob Avery, assistant professor of sociology; Marco Levorato, assistant professor of computer science; Elizabeth Martin, assistant professor of psychology & social behavior; Davin Phoenix, assistant professor of political science; Sergey Pronin, assistant professor of chemistry; and Sha Sun, assistant professor of developmental & cell biology.

The Hellman Fellows Program was established in 1994 to provide junior faculty research grants at colleges and universities. UCI’s program was established by a $1.25 million gift from the Hellman Family Foundation in 2013.

Ronald Cortez Joins UC Irvine Staff

Ronald Cortez will begin his new role as UCI vice chancellor for administration and business services on Feb. 13.

A U.S. Air Force veteran, Cortez previously served as deputy county executive officer of Santa Barbara County and, from 2008 to 2013, as associate vice chancellor of administrative services at UC Santa Barbara. Cortez is currently chief financial officer at San Francisco State University.As vice chancellor for business services, Cortez will oversee maintenance of campus infrastructure to provide a safe environment for all.

Cortez replaces Wendell Brase, who held the position for 25 years and has now been named associate chancellor for sustainability.

UC Irvine Receives Over 100,000 Applicants

Over winter break, administration announced that UCI had received a record-breaking 102,210 applications for the fall 2017 quarter. This amount was expected to increase with the transfer student applications due Jan. 3.

While UCI placed third in number of applications behind UCLA and UCSD, the school had the largest increase in freshmen applications. UCI also had the largest amount of minority residents, the most Chicano/Latino freshmen and the third-most African American freshmen.