Record-Setting Night Not Enough for ‘Eaters

A program record 12 3-pointers was not enough to lift UCI women’s basketball (3-17, 1-5) over Hawaii (7-11, 3-3) as the ‘Eaters traveled to the Stan Sheriff Center on Thursday to take on their conference foe.

Sophomore Andee Ritter led the attack with five triples and a game high 19 points, and senior Mckenzie Piper added a season high 15. Senior Shereen Sutherland posted 10 points and seven boards, while junior Sydney Hua recorded five assists, her highest output of the year.

Neither team shot well from the floor in the opening period, but the Rainbow Wahine were able to open up a 7-0 lead before the ‘Eaters responded and closed the gap to 15-11 at the end of the first quarter.

Piper contributed consecutive scores to tie the match at 15, but Hawaii would answer and put together a 10-0 run at the end of the second to establish a 37-22 lead by halftime.

The Rainbow Wahine added to their lead with the first six points of the second half, but UCI clawed back to narrow the deficit to 15. Timely threes and composure from Hawaii kept them ahead, as they led 60-40 entering the final period.

UCI wound up winning the fourth quarter but it was too little too late for the ‘Eaters who were handed the 79-62 loss, their third straight in Big West play.
The ‘Eaters traveled back to the Bren to host UC Santa Barbara on Saturday.