1094

UCI Starts Clean Manufacturing Institute

UC Irvine has partnered with various universities and organizations to launch the Reducing Embodied-Energy and Decreasing Emissions Institute (REMADE), which aims to improve U.S. manufacturing efficiency through clean energy.

In total, 26 universities, including the Rochester Institute of Technology, 44 companies, seven national labs, 26 industry trade associations, and the New York, Colorado, and Utah state governments are involved in this program.

The primary focus is on reducing operating and technology costs used in recycling and reusing metals, fibers, electronic waste, and other materials. The Institute also wants to improve overall factory energy efficiency by 50 percent by 2027.

REMADE’s research will be led by UCI chemical engineering and materials science professor Julie Schoenung. Studies will serve to develop more sustainable materials and utilize virtual reality in learning environments.

Funding is provided by $70 million from the Department of Energy along with a matching sum from 85 private-industry partners.

UCI Biologists Named Ecological Fellows

Three UCI Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology faculty members were named 2017 Ecological Society of America fellows.

Recipients include Professors Travis Huxman, Jennifer Martiny and Assistant Professor Cascade Sorte. Huxman serves as Director of the UCI Center of Environmental Biology and was recognized for his work on plant ecophysiology. Martiny was identified for her work in the development of microbial biogeography, and Sorte was acknowledged for furthering the understanding of biogeographic patterns in response to marine systems changes.

UCIPD Searching for Langson Thief

The UC Irvine Police Department announced last Wednesday that they were looking for a man they believe is responsible for a string of thefts at Langson Library.

Authorities say a man was caught on security footage lifting unattended wallets and purses at Langson and using these stolen credit cards at local businesses. The suspect is described as a thin Asian man in his 20s with black hair and tinted eyeglasses.

Anyone with information is asked to call UCI Police at (949) 824-5223.

Correction: The aforementioned security footage was obtained at the local businesses referenced, and not at Langson Library.