774

UC Union Sends Letter of Support to Chancellor Howard Gillman

The Executive Board of University Council – American Federation of Teachers (UC-AFT) Local 2226 released a letter last week in support of UCI Chancellor Howard Gillman’s recent remarks condemning President Donald Trump’s executive actions. The union, which represents UCI’s lecturers and librarians, noted that though they “often find ourselves in vigorous but respectful opposition to administration….on many issues we are in complete accord.”

Chancellor Gillman’s comments, signed on Feb. 2 in a letter along with dozens of other university administrators, were critical of President Donald Trump’s recent executive order temporarily banning immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries. The executive order was later blocked by federal courts.

“Lately we are pleased and proud to acknowledge and celebrate the strong public position taken by UCI Chancellor Howard Gillman, who included his name in a long list of university presidents and leaders urging President Trump to ‘rectify or rescind the recent executive order closing our country’s borders to immigrants…[which] threatens both American higher education and the defining principles of our country,’” executive board members wrote in the letter. “The Feb. 2 letter, recently featured in The New York Review of Books and elsewhere, inspires our own organized political opposition to nativism, racism and unconstitutional behavior; indeed all that is Trumpism.  Against this very real threat we organized academic workers are in solidarity with our boss.”

UCI Pump2Plug Service Provides Discount to Electric Car Users

Through partnerships with dealerships, UCI’s Pump2Plug program has lowered the price of electric and hybrid vehicles including the BMW i3, Fiat 500e, Ford Focus Electric and Nissan Leaf to as low as $11,000. The program, administered through UCI’s Department of Transportation and Distribution, is an attempt to encourage students, faculty and staff to transition to more sustainable vehicles.  

“As an added benefit,” according to a press release, “UCI is offering up to three years of complimentary Level 1 EV charging and discounted Level 2 EV charging for faculty and staff who join UCI’s Pump2Plug program.”

UCI Transportation to Offer DMV Services

Starting spring quarter 2017, UCI Department of Transportation and Distribution will offer automated registration services in conjunction with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). In a “first of its kind installation,” according to a press release, “a self-service DMV NOW terminal will be located at the main UCI Transportation office.”

Services offered by the machine will include license plate tags and vehicle registration cards. Students who wish to use these services will need to bring a vehicle registration renewal notice or a vehicle registration card.

An opening date for the DMV NOW machine is yet to be determined.