834

UC to Discuss Out-of-state Student Cap

For the first time in UC history, the University of California is considering limiting the number of out-of-state students to 20 percent of undergraduates at most of its campuses.

At UC Irvine, almost 19 percent of students comprising the current undergraduate population are non-California resident students. Out-of-state students at UC Berkeley, UCLA and UC San Diego currently make up 23 to 24 percent of their undergraduate populations. Lowering the number of out-of-state students, who pay significantly more tuition than in-state students, would cost UC $56 million annually.

Opponents of the proposal feel that implementing a cap would consequently raise tuition for all UC students if out-of-state funding no longer provides enough to cover costs.

The Board of Regents will meet in San Francisco on Mar. 16 to deliberate on the plan.

UCI School of Medicine to Host Match Day

The UCI School of Medicine will be participating in Match Day on Friday, Mar. 17.

On Match Day, an event which occurs annually on the third Friday in March at medical schools across the nation, students are matched into a residency, internship or fellowship program.

At UC Irvine, medical students will learn which hospital they will spend the next three to seven years in resident physician training. During the ceremony, in front of family and friends, each student approaches a podium to open the envelope that contains the name of the hospital they’ll be training at.

After reaching the podium, each UCI student drops a dollar bill into Dr. Robert Brown’s satchel, as per tradition. Dr. Brown obtained his doctorate from the school that became UCI’s School of Medicine. The last student collects all the cash for waiting the longest.

The ceremony will be held in the Medical Education Building courtyard.

Former UCI Chancellor Drake and Wife to Receive UCI’s Highest Honor

Michael Drake, M.D., former UC Irvine chancellor and his wife, Brenda Drake, Esquire., will received the UCI Medal at the Lauds and Laurels celebration on Mar. 30.

The UCI Medal acknowledges individuals who have made significant contributions to the university through teaching, research or public service.

Michael Drake served as UCI Chancellor from 2005 to 2014. During this period, undergraduate application rates nearly doubled and four-year graduation rates increased by 18 percent. The school also established schools of law and education.

Brenda Drake has served as director or board member for organizations such as the National Urban League, EngenderHealth Inc. and Wexner Center Foundation. During her husband’s term, she actively participated in campus events and student engagement.

UCI Police Department Arrest Suspect in Langson Library Thefts

UCIPD announced last weekend that a man has been arrested for multiple thefts that occurred at Langson Library earlier this year.

Joshua Kh Kim, 23, was taken to Orange County Jail last Thursday on suspicion of burglary and petty theft. Kim is suspected of a string of thefts at Langson conducted over the past few months.

Anyone with additional information about the case is asked to contact UCI police at 949-824-5223.

UCI to Host Robotics Competition

UCI will host the FIRST Robotics Orange County Regional Competition on March 30 and April 1. The competition is sponsored by Edison International in an effort to encourage students to chose a career in science, technology, mathematics or engineering. Student teams are partnered with professional engineers who help them build robots that will compete in a series of challenges at competitions. proThe event will be held at the Bren Events Center and is of free admission to the public.