744

Humanitarian. Actress. Writer. Global Ambassador. These are just a few things on Meghan Markle’s impressive resumé. In a few months we can add “princess” and “Duchess of Sussex” to the list. With the rising popularity in American media Markle has received since news broke that she was dating His Royal Highness Prince Harry, Markle has graced the public with her charisma, passion and kindness. Not to mention, almost every single piece of clothing she is photographed in sells out within minutes. Everyone, including me, is guilty of wanting to dress like her, hoping to increase the odds of meeting and falling in love with a prince or someone from a royal family.
Markle’s beauty and brilliance is showcased through the work she has done for World Vision, a humanitarian organization that confronts the underlying issues of injustice and poverty. As a non-profit Christian organization, World Vision’s primary focus is on children and their health, assisting in disasters, reshaping unjust systems, and spreading the Gospel and the life of Jesus Christ. Markle acquired her position as World Vision Global Ambassador in 2016. She travelled to Rwanda where she learned that children trek many miles for hours every day to access water — water that is keeping them out of school and is unsafe to drink. She was able to be a part of an organization that provides clean drinking water to over 130 households and indirectly gives children the opportunity to receive an education.

Markle has also been affiliated with United Nations Women, an organization committed to gender equality and female empowerment. It is a global effort to increase female leadership roles, terminate violence against women, and include women in all policies and programs. Markle is a proud supporter of Emma Watson’s “He for She” campaign, a branch of the UN Women organization. Markle has been advocating for women and their rights from the age of 11, after viewing a dishwashing commercial that belittled women and their status in the household in its tagline: “Women all over America are fighting greasy pots and pans.” Her persistent handwritten letters sparked the change in the the advertisement: “People all over America are fighting greasy pots and pans.” Words ignite the change that we seek and the strength we instill.

Markle was the editor-in-chief and founder of the digital magazine The Tig. She wrote articles covering topics from beauty and fashion to lifestyle and wellness. Her frequent trips led to her expert advice on travel tips and tricks. Markle used the online platform to pen significant pieces about self-empowerment and women. Her blog reached a wide audience that has led to her inspiring and influential status.

Although she has officially resigned her positions with World Vision and UN Women and shut down The Tig, Markle will use her newfound title and position to continue to work with charities she is passionate about. She will join the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry as fourth patron. The Royal Foundation are proud advocates of programs such as the Invictus Games (a worldwide sporting event made for the women and men who got injured, wounded, or sick while serving for their country), Cyberbullying Task Force, and Heads Together (a partnership that raises awareness and challenging stigma relating to mental health). I am excited to follow and read all about the endeavors and adventures Markle assumes.

We can learn something from her actions because all of us play a part in making our world a better place to live in. As Markle states simply, “Do one act of kindness every day. It doesn’t need to be big. It just needs to be something.”

The marriage of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle signifies a monumental event for women, especially women of color, all over the world. She is changing the perception of women’s stereotypical roles and setting an exemplary model for girls to pursue their passion, to perform with confidence, to be strong and fearless. In a period where racial discrimination still exists and is highly prevalent in everyday life, Markle’s acceptance into into the Royal family proves that one’s heart, passions and personality exceed the importance of appearance and ethnicity.

Waresa Hu is a third-year business economics major. She can be reached at waresah@uci.edu.