555

UCI Professor Receives Journalism Grant

Associate professor of English Erika Hayasaki has received a grant from the Alicia Patterson Foundation in its 53rd Annual Fellowship Competition.

The Alicia Patterson Foundation was established in 1965 in memory of its namesake, a former editor and publisher for Newsday who died in 1963. Its annual fellowships help further independent reporting on local, national and international affairs. Professor Hayasaki was chosen as the fellow named for Cissy Patterson, Alicia’s aunt and former Washington Times-Herald editor. This fellowship is awarded to a journalist for science and environmental writing. Hayasaki will be working on four magazine-style pieces involving epigenetics, twin studies and gene editing.

Professor Hayasaki reports and writes stories about the medical, scientific and criminal worlds and the relationships between all three. She is a former Los Angeles Times reporter and author of “The Death Class: A True Story About Life.” Her stories have also appeared in Wired, Newsweek, The Atlantic, Glamour and The Wall Street Journal, among others.

Professor Hayasaki received a $40,000 12-month grant to pursue her research for the four stories and eventually hopes to publish a more in-depth book centering on epigenetics.

UCI Provides Productive Learning Environment

UC Irvine has ranked third in the nation for the most productive learning environment, according to the 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education rankings of top U.S. schools.

The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education examined how schools attracted a more diverse student body and what they were doing to help those undergraduate students. UCI has been recognized in the past for its student diversity, having received recognition as both a Hispanic-serving and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-serving institution. UCI has also recently been named the number one UC campus for in-state Latino high school graduates and number two for African American students.

Of all the West Coast public schools, UCI was also ranked number seven.

Study Finds Earned Income Tax Credit Boosts Women’s Earnings

A UC Irvine study published last month has found that an increased earned income tax credit reduces poverty and increases employment for women.

The study was written by UCI economics professor David Neumark and Ph.D. economics student Peter Shirley. The literature notes that most studies of this kind focus on the short-term. Neumark and Shirley’s research examines the potential long-term benefits for the labor market, specifically looking at women’s experience with federal and state EITC in the first two decades of their adult life. A more generous EITC will likely benefit low-income families and produce pro-work incentives, resulting in higher earnings, especially for unmarried women with young children.

Neumark and Shirley’s research was supported by grants from the Laura and John Arnold Foundation and the Smith-Richardson Foundation.